biting the bullet!

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,
we're thinking of going to France with the van for the first time next year for 2 weeks, and want to include a few nights near Paris. I know its a big ask but I'd love some advice on the following, please:
1. Best Route from Calais to South (Frejus area NOT Agde)
2. Nice sites s.w Paris
3. Can we do Paris - Frejus in a day or will we need another stop?(2 drivers)
4. Overnight stop for the way back.
I intend to book direct with sites, following advice on other forums.
Thanks in advance. ;)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A 'few nights' in Paris is not going to leave very much time in the south unless you travel quite hard. The easiest way will be to use the autoroutes but the toll charges will be quite steep - you can check on the autoroutes de france website or on the SANEF (who supply electronic payment tags) website in UK. Also plent about this in this section of the Forum.
Unless you are going late July / August I don't think it will be necessary to book all you sites in advance. To do so will tie you down in advance, meaning you may find you have to drive further than you want to or alternatively that you arrive somewhere mid afternoon when you could have put in another 100 miles.
I really don't want to sound discouraging but this is supposed to be a holiday and not a contest and one of the great joys of touring in France is to be flexible, stay longer where you like and shorter where you don;t, have a relaxed programme of 'visiting attractions'. You will be on a pretty steep learning curve and it would be a great shame if you got back home exhausted and not wanting to do it again.

I suggest you get the Caravan Club France guide which has much good advice as well as campsite details. Route planning is pretty easy using www.viamichelin.com and ticking the Trailer option when specifying the vehicle. Fuel is much cheaper at supermarkets, but if you are doing high mileages it is probably not worth getting far off the autoroute just for cheaper fuel.

I'm sure others will offer advice and suggestions too. Many like me have been doing this for more years than we care to remember and are still learning new tips and finding new palces to stay and visit. Good luck.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
I really don't want to sound discouraging but this is supposed to be a holiday and not a contest and one of the great joys of touring in France is to be flexible, stay longer where you like and shorter where you don;t, have a relaxed programme of 'visiting attractions'. .

Couldn't agree more. Some years ago we stopped for an overnight in a municipal on the banks of the Lot and ended up staying a week.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree with Ray and Chrisbee. We never book ahead, except perhaps on the morning of the day we want. Travelling in April/May/June makes it easy.
You'll find that, off the motorways, rural France is so laid back that you might not even reach your planned destination!
And, purely personal choice, I avoid Paris like the plague!
I'm currently in the midst of maps and the Caravan Club's "Touring France", and I must admit that I get almost as much "buzz" from the prep as for the actual trip!
Whatever you decide, have fun!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Crazyguider will be travelling in main school holidays (unless she has abandoned the kids and chucked in her job). Does the "don't book" advice still stand?
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
For Paris we would suggest Camping 4 Vents. Very clean well kept site and helpful owners.
We have been three times and love it. It is close to Disneyland Paris and the owners will give you directions to station with free parking for regular train to Paris.
http://www.caravaning-4vents.fr/

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Mel said:
Crazyguider will be travelling in main school holidays (unless she has abandoned the kids and chucked in her job). Does the "don't book" advice still stand?
Mel
Mel, being retired I've never travelled in holiday time, so I'm not qualified to answer that, but I would imagine that advance booking may be necessary.
No doubt other (younger) members will advise.

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Mel is quiteright. As much as abandoning the kids and chucking in the job really appeals! we will be travelling late July/early August. As I'm a person who would panic if I didn't have a definate destination, I know I'd have to book well in advance. Some great tips, though, thanks folks. Now looking for a southern site near a beach, not too busy with excellent pools...no chance :cheer:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Same here , with 2 kids , and two fully charged DVD players , I need a designated site to drive to , not a random stop and hope for a space, all pre booked , but this year , just so happens that this year though I'VE got bout 8 hours driving to do when we get of the euro shuttle in August ! Calais to dordogne region .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Crazyguider

I would agree with Raywood with his site recommendation for your Paris stay and take his tip to use the train/metro to visit Paris itself.
I would not advise bothering with driving to the Mediterranean coast in July/August.
I will be very busy, likely too hot with a greater danger of sunburn and the area is very expensive compared to other parts of France.
I would look at somewhere like the Loire Valley or if you must have a beach then look at Charente Maritime.
Both areas have many family orientated campsites which are easy to find via Google.
France is a large varied country.......do you really want to drive from one end to the other for your first visit towing a caravan?

We can have a chat about France at Stowford in May if you want.......my wife and I have been going there for 40 years :eek:hmy:

( to France not Stowford :) )

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Same here , with 2 kids , and two fully charged DVD players , I need a designated site to drive to , not a random stop and hope for a space, all pre booked , but this year , just so happens that this year though I'VE got bout 8 hours driving to do when we get of the euro shuttle in August ! Calais to dordogne region .

Up to you of course......but I would not attempt to drive 500+ miles in 8 hours towing a caravan!
Since you like everything booked I would be wanting an overnight stop after around 300miles ......preferably where you could just pull onto a pitch without unhitching.
That would leave 200 miles and setting up in the Dordogne the next day.
There again perhaps you know something I don't :)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Gafferbill , I understand what you mean , I plan on a good few hours driving and 2/3 stops , plenty Red Bull to ! I drive a bus 1o hours a day so 8ish ain't to bad , we done a similar drive last year coming back and it wasn't that bad .

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Strangely enough, Gafferbill, we have decided to shorten our drive and are looking at the Vendee region - good beaches and nice places to visit. Puy du Fou looks awesome, and we've been to Futuroscope before and want to return. So now we are looking for some beachside sites near Sables d'Olonne and Jean de Monts. Prices look good, but there are so many its a good job we aren't going till 2016!! B)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts