Black bits in toilet

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
When ever we flush our caravan toilet there are lot of black bits in the flush water which stick to the toilet bowl. We use Aqua kem pink flush additive. Does anybody know how to solve this?

Thanks

Andy

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
yes this is caused by the pink stuff,its mould.or mold.thetford now sell a tank cleaner for this.best bet see

www.fenwicks.co.uk and buy the FENDOX to clean out the black bits.then use there TOP+TAIL

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andy

On of the things you are posibly doing is using too much pink and this causes the balance of pink to water to be incorrect thus causing the black bits.

A much better thing though would be to use a product that does not cause the black bite in the first place and so there is no need to buy a tank cleaner!

If you use a product called Kemdirect it is a new granular toilet additive from Holland and it can be used in both the top tank and the bottom tank. It is completely biodegradable and has no dye and so no staining properties and it has no smell and so is not offensive like some of the liquid chemicals.

When you empty the toilet there will be no smell and complete breakdown of the contents of the toilet. It makes a chore a pleasure!

If you would like to try this product you can get it mail order or buy at caravan shows. www.kemdirect.nl to find the distributor in the UK.

Hope this helps you....Joyce

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
A much better thing though would be to use a product that does not cause the black bite in the first place and so there is no need to buy a tank cleaner!

hi , you need to clean the tank first otherwise the black bits will keep appearing

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
I rememeber complaining to Thetford at a show about it.They believe it is an algae,but they cant understand why it has suddenly appeared as the pink formula has not changed for years.One possible thought is the top up tank door is thinner causing more light to get through,just a thought.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use a couple of capfulls of concentrated disinfectant that you buy in Tesco/Asda for 97p a bottle and which I add to the top tank. Does the job fine.

Mar 6, 2006
Visit site
Empty all the pink out fill a bucket with water add a couple of capfuls of milton fluid (you can buy cheaper equivalents that work just as well) fill up the flush tank and leave for two or three hours and drain it out. Fill tank as normal with pink. No more bits. don't waste your money on expensive cleaning fluids.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
If you use the pink again you will begin to get the black bits back and you will have to clean out again.

If you use a product like Kemdirect then you will not suffer from the black bits at all because it does not cause them to develop.

As I said earlier it goes top and bottom and has endless benefits.

The black bits are not caused by the light as suggested by Mikey

they are caused by the amount of pink to the amount of water used. If you top up your top tank or do not use up completely and then measure again they will keep coming back.

The truth is you do not really require anything in the top tank because if you own some motohomes they flush from their main tank and that is just water and they have no problems with the toilet and no black bits! (the manufacturers just like you to misuse their products so you have to buy another to solve the problem.)

If you follow this example and do not put anything in the top, it is advisable to spray the toilet bowl with something so that it keeps the germs at bay and coats the bowl inbetween flushes.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
as said before,if you use nothing in the top tank water flush.the bowl will turn yellow after a week.fenwicks do a pre toilet spray... www.fenwicks.info

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
as said before,if you use nothing in the water flush the bowl will turn yellow after a week.fenwicks do a pre toilet spray to combat this. www.fenwicks.info

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Elsan chemicals - they were there before Thetford, are still there, and do not have 'black bits'.
I agree with Peter T, Elsan chemical for the holding tank and just clean water (no additives) in the flush tank. I've had no problem for the last 2-3 years since changing from Thetford products!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts