blow out saga and spare dilemma

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
We have just had a caravanning nightmare: Had a blow out in Austria. Our tyre repair kit was useless & RAC euro assistance let us down, lying and misleading us not once but 4 separate times, putting us on the road with unsafe mismatched tyres...just total nightmare I wouldn't wish on worst enemy.
So we are in the Netherlands now, 3 days after our incident, having limped along the motorways on the mismatched tyres at tediously low speed.
I'd like advice about sourcing tyres.

We have a dinky little Dethleffs Campy. It comes with 185/70 R13s. In Austria all they had was a single 165/80. Germany, had neither unless we ordered it & waited 2 days.(I tell you it's been a sorry saga!)
Now we have dilemma: Here in the Netherlands they have 165/80 plenty stock, less of 185/70. They also recommend the 165s as apparently they are less prone to dance on roads with tracks worn out.
I'm not sure. I like additional stability and grip that a 185 provides in bends, etc, but don't want to have this nightmare of not finding a size for days. (we're also sourcing a spare!)
Any suggestions / experiences on traction differences and availability of sizes in the continent?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Mumonthebrink,

Hopefully I can reduce you concerns somewhat. First of all you are quite correct you should not have two different sizes of tyres on the same axle (except as an emergency spare like a space saver found in many modern cars).

But regards the actual tyres, I am personally not too concerned as the tyres are on the trailer, The tyres on trailers do not need the same level of performance as those on the towing vehicle, for example they don't have to steer, or put power down for acceleration, and braking is never on a driven or steering wheel so ultimate traction is not a real issue with trailer tyres.

Its rare for a caravan tyre to wear out, its far more common for them to time expire (tyres should be changed at least every 7 years) as the materials deteriorate with sunlight and other environmental conditions.

I'm sure either will be as effective as the other, so ultimately its which ever you feel happiest with, Based on financial decisions - go for the cheaper of the two options, but you may have other criteria which you give greater importance too.

Regardless of which tyres you go for, regular checks on pressure and condition will reduce risks of premature tyre failure.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
John
Just a couple of points here.
Is it ok to fit 165 tyres onto an alloy rim designed for the wider 185s?
Most Clubs and tyre experts recommend caravan tyres are changed every 5 years regardless of wear.

Mumonthe brink.
It does seem the RAC European cover let you down. They could have easily sourced a new tyre and had it shipped to you.
I hope this hasn't spoilt your holiday too much.
Carrying a spare on your next trip, is a wise moved .

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Mumonthebrink said:
We have just had a caravanning nightmare: Had a blow out in Austria. Our tyre repair kit was useless & RAC euro assistance let us down, lying and misleading us not once but 4 separate times, putting us on the road with unsafe mismatched tyres...just total nightmare I wouldn't wish on worst enemy.
So we are in the Netherlands now, 3 days after our incident, having limped along the motorways on the mismatched tyres at tediously low speed.
I'd like advice about sourcing tyres.

We have a dinky little Dethleffs Campy. It comes with 185/70 R13s. In Austria all they had was a single 165/80. Germany, had neither unless we ordered it & waited 2 days.(I tell you it's been a sorry saga!)
Now we have dilemma: Here in the Netherlands they have 165/80 plenty stock, less of 185/70. They also recommend the 165s as apparently they are less prone to dance on roads with tracks worn out.
I'm not sure. I like additional stability and grip that a 185 provides in bends, etc, but don't want to have this nightmare of not finding a size for days. (we're also sourcing a spare!)
Any suggestions / experiences on traction differences and availability of sizes in the continent?

I fail to see how the RAC let you down, you have stated that getting the correct tyre would have meant waiting two days, not an unreasonable period of time in my opinion The RAC cannot be held responsible for the fact that there was no tyre available in the area. You obviously chose to have a mismatched tyre fitted, so why complain after the event?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I fail to see how the RAC let you down, you have stated that getting the correct tyre would have meant waiting two days, not an unreasonable period of time in my opinion The RAC cannot be held responsible for the fact that there was no tyre available in the area. You obviously chose to have a mismatched tyre fitted, so why complain after the event?[/quote]

This sort of posting is most unhelpful - the RAC told Mumonthe brink that it was safe to use mismatched tyres, obviously she does not have your superior knowledge, and took their word for it!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
JimF said:
I fail to see how the RAC let you down, you have stated that getting the correct tyre would have meant waiting two days, not an unreasonable period of time in my opinion The RAC cannot be held responsible for the fact that there was no tyre available in the area. You obviously chose to have a mismatched tyre fitted, so why complain after the event?

This sort of posting is most unhelpful - the RAC told Mumonthe brink that it was safe to use mismatched tyres,
obviously she does not have your superior knowledge, and took their word for it![/quote]

If she doesn't have my superior knowledge as you put it, How did she know the tyres were mismatched. Just because they are a different make, does not mean they are unsafe

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Blame the car manufacturers.

When the RAC attended a friends broken down car at Stowford I noticed a very strange wheel on board his wagon.
It had an adjustable wheel centre that can be adjusted for most cars allegedly!
The tyre has been designed for most applications. So whilst not the same size should be as safe as the original.
Is this any different from the car manufacturers get you home job?
A learning curve maybe?

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
Rule number 1 of caravanning with 13 inch wheel rims on your caravan.

........ always have a fully severable spare wheel and tyre available and expect to wait for the correct size of tyre to be sourced if you don't.

I have heard of sourcing taking well over a week on the continent :eek:hmy:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
John
Just a couple of points here.
Is it ok to fit 165 tyres onto an alloy rim designed for the wider 185s?
Most Clubs and tyre experts recommend caravan tyres are changed every 5 years regardless of wear.........................

Hello Dusty,
I do not know what rims the OP has, and further I do not personally know the rights or wrongs of fitting different sized tyres to specific rims, I am relying on the UK requirement on tyre fitters who are obliged not to fit unsuitable tyres to rims, and hoping it applies across Europe.

There is a bit of a debate about the age at which tyres should be changed, When I stated 7 years I was referring to teh age of the tyre based on its imprinted date of manufacture, see below

Here's what The Caravan Club have to say:
"It should go without saying that tyres which are damaged or worn to the legal minimum tread depth must be replaced immediately. However, tyres which are visually OK, and which have seen little or even no use are also recommended to be replaced when they reach a few years of age. As a general rule (and following guidance issued by the tyre makers' trade body, the British Tyre Manufacturers' Association, it's advised that caravan tyres should ideally be replaced when 5 years old, and should never be used when more than 7 years old.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
hi all.
the simple answer to the Op's dilemma is to change both tyres to what is available if that is 165x13 fine.
at least then they will be the same. the difference between 70 and 80 profile is neglidgable on a trailer just make sure the load index is correct, oh and keep the good one when they take it off.
there really is no substitute for a spare wheel get one asap.
as for the RAC letting them down, one must remember they are only mechanics not David blaine they cannot magic one up if non is available.
I am afraid this senario comes under holiday planning in the "what if" list.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts