'Blown' caravan windows!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone tell me what causes condensation between the so-called sealed window units on modern caravans. Our caravan has just gone in for its first year service with 5 out of the 8 windows showing condensation (1 severely!). As it is under guarantee we should have no problems. However, the dealership service/repair centre has suggested they try to sort out the problem prior to ordering the new parts. My husband was given to understand that this wastn't the first instance recently that this problem had been reported.

We removed the plugs for several days this did not work. We then used a hair dryer and that worked temporarily.

Can anyone offer advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Maisie,

The caravan windows are not manufactured and sealed in the same way as domestic double glazing, in fact as you have found, they usually have small rubber plugs near the bottom of the window that allow the air space between the panes to be vented.

The condensation is caused by warm moist air being included between the panes when the window is installed. The warm air is cooled by the outside temperature and some of the moisture condenses out.

Using the hair dryer, will warm up the air enough to absorb the condensation, but unless the air is replaced with 'dry' air then the same problem will re-occur.

I haven't tried it yet, but if the air could be replaced with some other dry gas such as helium, then the problem might be reduced for a longer time. Helium is now available for inflating balloons, so if some one tries it perhaps report back.

G

Maisie,

There have been a number of Posts on this topic. The windows for caravans are not vacuum sealed as you get with glass domestic units and leakage between the seams is, unfortunately, sometimes a problem. I admit to have so many 'failures' on a new van is unusual and I would be wary about accepting a repair, as I suspect they would soon 'fail' again. Replacement would at least reduce your 'failure' rate to more acceptable levels. The dealer is allowed to offer the best solution he feels will cure the problem, but has to ensure that if you are not totally satisfied, he has to adopt an alternative solution.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I would have thought that the most lasting solution would be to introduce silica gel crystals (like the ones sometimes found in little bags in packaging of sensitive goods) through the vent holes and remove them again with a vacuum cleaner once their job is done.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts