BMW 330d Touring or Land Rover Discovery 3 2.7tdv6?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would really welcome your advice. I currently have a 2.5TDI VW Touareg but would like to change to something else as I'm bored with the VW.

I am lucky enough to have the choice of the two cars mentioned, I've test driven both and many more besides but these two are my shortlist.

Would you like to give me the good points of each car if you own one or have owned one. Personally I like the Disco 3 and I like the thought of still having a 4x4 as I live in the country and like to do some green lanes now and then. I also like the BMW though as it's such a nice car to drive and totally different to what I've had in the past.

As you can imagine I want to make an informed choice before spending £40,000 on a new car.

Thanks for your replies.

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd meet in the middle and buy a 530d Touring.???
Thanks Gavin,

I did have a look but it isn't the car for me. I'm still (just about)in my 30's. The 530 is a lovely car but it's the sort of car my dad would drive!

I'm settled on either the 330 or the Disco 3

Mark

Jul 2, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Gavin,

I did have a look but it isn't the car for me. I'm still (just about)in my 30's. The 530 is a lovely car but it's the sort of car my dad would drive!

I'm settled on either the 330 or the Disco 3

Mark
Cheers Mark, i've just sold my 5 series, bought a Honda crv. Miss the Beemer somthing rotten! What next, a Jag and a tweed cap i suppose, ha,ha,

Gavin

aged 37 (honest)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Disco 3 and tow a Sprite Quattro twin axle - you wouldn't know it was there!

The best car I have ever owned.
Thanks Chris,

I was so impressed with the test drive, it's so smooth and quiet, I had to keep looking at the badge on the steering wheel to keep reminding myself I was in a Landie!

My head is telling me to get the BMW but my heart is telling me the Disco 3. I do lots of thinking with my heart!

Cheers

Mark

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had a D3 since launch and changed after a year for the 06 MY enhancements. Earlier ones had one or two issues which seem to have been resolved and my latest one has done 9000 miles without a single issue. I get about 21-22 towing my TA Fleetwood heritage, my parents get about 1mpg more with their Avondale Osprey. All cars now seem to tow well and it is really only the hills that see cars like the D3 excel.

Mine and my parents are autos which are sublime! But you will get a bit more mpg from the manual, both are 6 speed. My car has to be a family car, be smart seeing clients during the week, put up with my off road driving passion as well as a van to take stuff to the dump, people carrier and tow car. It is here that the D3 is so good as it can turn its hands to anything.

If you are careful 30mpg is achievable, but the engine is soooo good that I tend to be a bit naughty and average 27mpg. As good as the D3 is it of course won't match the BMW as a drivers car. Shop around for dealers as they make or break the car, it is far harder to find a good LR dealer than a BMW one, but when you do they are great!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have had a D3 since launch and changed after a year for the 06 MY enhancements. Earlier ones had one or two issues which seem to have been resolved and my latest one has done 9000 miles without a single issue. I get about 21-22 towing my TA Fleetwood heritage, my parents get about 1mpg more with their Avondale Osprey. All cars now seem to tow well and it is really only the hills that see cars like the D3 excel.

Mine and my parents are autos which are sublime! But you will get a bit more mpg from the manual, both are 6 speed. My car has to be a family car, be smart seeing clients during the week, put up with my off road driving passion as well as a van to take stuff to the dump, people carrier and tow car. It is here that the D3 is so good as it can turn its hands to anything.

If you are careful 30mpg is achievable, but the engine is soooo good that I tend to be a bit naughty and average 27mpg. As good as the D3 is it of course won't match the BMW as a drivers car. Shop around for dealers as they make or break the car, it is far harder to find a good LR dealer than a BMW one, but when you do they are great!
Thank you Paul, very helpful.

I have settled on the BMW 330d Auto, it makes a bit more sense for everyday use but I will miss my VW Touareg.

You're right in what you say about dealers but have found two great dealers, one of each. The guys at Yeovil Land Rover couldn't have been more helpful. I know them from old as I had a Freelander before the VW. But also the BMW dealer in Bournemouth has been fabulous and it was their attention to detail that has really won the day.

Cheers

Mark

Sep 10, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Chris,

I was so impressed with the test drive, it's so smooth and quiet, I had to keep looking at the badge on the steering wheel to keep reminding myself I was in a Landie!

My head is telling me to get the BMW but my heart is telling me the Disco 3. I do lots of thinking with my heart!

Cheers

Mark
Mark, go with your heart! There is a forum for Disco owners:

www.disco3.co.uk

and if you search on there you will find plenty of information and comment regarding towing with a D3. This car brings a smile to your face every time you drive it. I have had lots of LRs and this is a quantum leap forward.

Chris

www.busyoutdoors.com

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts