Breakaway Cable Attachment To Towbar

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
For all of my 30+ years caravanning, I've never been able to attach my breakaway cable to the car in the optimum manner, so always had to use one of the lesser alternatives - in most cases, the towbar didn't have a loop specifically for the cable and the cross-member was hidden so couldn't be used instead - or the loop was too small to pass the "dog-clip" though and clip back on itself so had simply to be clipped to the loop.

Until today!

I've just bought a 6mm long D shackle in stainless steel, the pin of which fits through the hole on the towbar for the breakaway cable and is big enough for the "dog-clip" to pass through.

It cost the huge sum of £3.02 including VAT and delivery - but that was for 2 so I also have a spare.

http://www.graphskill.co.uk/en/451--chandlerylong-d-shackle-

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Is your dog clip of the correct strength/design to use your shackle method? Some are, some aren't.
No idea - it's standard fit on a Lunar - since the chassis/hitch is made by Alko I guess it's an Alko part.

By passing the dog-clip through the shackle and then clipping back onto the cable itself, the dog-clip will only be subject to half the force in a separation than when the dog-clip is clipped directly to the towbar.

Obviously, in a separation, the breakaway cable will be tensioned and then break at it's weakest point - now whether that point is - the operating lever for the brakes - the cable fitting to that lever - the cable itself - the cable fitting to the dog-clip - the dog-clip - or the towbar attachment point - is a matter for design and if we didn't trust Alko and reputable caravan makers we'd never go caravanning.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Please take care that this setup allows the cable to operate correctly.
If it does not allow a straight pull on the cable the dog clip can break off without pulling the brakes on.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
If it clarifies anything, I'm now able to use the method shown in figure 1 http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/21534/Correct-Attachment-of-Breakaway-Cables.pdf previously I had to use one of the alternatives.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
It's Fig 2 I was alluding to. The normal clips on the end of the cable are not very strong and can break BEFORE the brakes have been applied. (Been there, done it, and got the T-shirt). :blush:

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
It's Fig 2 I was alluding to. The normal clips on the end of the cable are not very strong and can break BEFORE the brakes have been applied. (Been there, done it, and got the T-shirt). :blush:
I don't dispute that - but in that case a satisfactory loop big enough to pass a dog-clip through should be mandatory for Type Approval.

My current Witter towbar is like figure 2, with a 10mm hole, to which the shackle is not fitted - my previous car had a Witter towbar with a loop, as figure 1 but the loop was too small to pass the dog-clip through so I had to use the method at figure 2.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Woodlands camper. The type of cable they show in Fig 2 is for looped attachment only to directly attach you will need the other type with has the caribina clip

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
MichaelE said:
I agree with Woodlands camper. The type of cable they show in Fig 2 is for looped attachment only to directly attach you will need the other type with has the caribina clip

But the Caravan Club show a dog-clip in figure 2 which is directly clipped?

The dog-clip or carabiner, comes as a standard part of the caravan - which brands deliver with which type.

Surely people choose their caravan and car/towbar separately so it must be hit or miss whether the clip is suitable for the towbar.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
RogerL said:
MichaelE said:

But the Caravan Club show a dog-clip in figure 2 which is directly clipped?

The dog-clip or carabiner, comes as a standard part of the caravan - which brands deliver with which type.

Surely people choose their caravan and car/towbar separately so it must be hit or miss whether the clip is suitable for the towbar.

Fig 2 is not detailed enough to show which type is fitted,

The manufacturers will always fit the cheapest, ie dog clip.

See here for the heavy duty direct fit clip.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
See here for the heavy duty direct fit clip.

Fitting one of those has it's own issues - how can you be sure that the inner fitting to the handbrake lever is robust enough - how can you be sure that the cable length is correct, too long will drag on the ground and wear through, too short will operate the handbrake on tight corners and manoeuvres.

I leave it to the caravan manufacturer and chassis manufacturer - I don't always think they know better than me ;) but in this matter, I know so little I assume they do,

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
RogerL said:
I leave it to the caravan manufacturer and chassis manufacturer - I don't always think they know better than me ;) but in this matter, I know so little I assume they do,

You missed out the other two factors in the equation - the car manufacturer and the towbar manufacturer. ;)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
RogerL said:

You missed out the other two factors in the equation - the car manufacturer and the towbar manufacturer. ;)
Witter provide a breakaway cable attachment point on the towbar they make for my car, but unless Type Approval regulations are changed there's no co-ordination between the requirements for towbar attachment point and trailer cable type.

Having fitted a long shackle, I can now attach the dog-clip back onto the cable which is safer than my previous method of direct attachment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts