Breakaway cable

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our breakaway cable ti now too long as we have a fixed tow bar and previously it was detachable. It has the carbiner clip and clips onto the plate on the towbar.

Is it a relatively easy job to change the cable so that the cable is shorter as it needs to be shorten by about 4 - 5 inches. Thanks.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The length isn't really that important, unless it drags on the ground.
it matters not if the caravan is 300mm or 1500mm distant after any detachment, all tgat matters is tgat tge breakaway cable applies tge brakes.
its not an easy job to shorten the cable as both ends are swaged to ensure tge cable breaks BEFORE any of the joints. They only cost a few quid.
I actually carry a spare having "forgotten" to detach it once after unhitching!!! :rolleyes:

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Ours is too long if clipped direct to the tow bar attachment point so I loop it round the back of the ball before clipping it. It’s important to make sure it has plenty of slack though to ensure it can’t pull the brakes on during articulation/turning.

Reactions: Banus
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Our breakaway cable ti now too long as we have a fixed tow bar and previously it was detachable. It has the carbiner clip and clips onto the plate on the towbar.

Is it a relatively easy job to change the cable so that the cable is shorter as it needs to be shorten by about 4 - 5 inches. Thanks.
It would be an easy job to put a loop in the cable to shorten it. The loop can be held with cable ties or good tape. In the case of a detachment, either method would just snap and not affect the operation of the cable.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The length isn't really that important, unless it drags on the ground.
it matters not if the caravan is 300mm or 1500mm distant after any detachment, all tgat matters is tgat tge breakaway cable applies tge brakes.
its not an easy job to shorten the cable as both ends are swaged to ensure tge cable breaks BEFORE any of the joints. They only cost a few quid.
I actually carry a spare having "forgotten" to detach it once after unhitching!!! :rolleyes:
It does drag on the ground which is what i am trying to avoid. At the moment we loop it through the "V" for the hitch on the towbar and then clip it into the hole.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts