Breakdown cover- pay & claim

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Did anyone hear Martin Lewis talking about this cover on the Jeremy Vine show on Friday. It is really cheap £32 for a couple for 2 cars plus caravan with no length restriction. Only difference is that you phone and they send out a local recovery, you pay the bill and send it to Auto Aid and they pay back within 14 days. Martin Lewis doesn't normally promote something that is rubbish (didn't want to use the 4 letter word) has anyone used this or heard any more about it good or bad. There is no website just a phone number to join. Denise

Jul 1, 2005
Visit site
Hello Denise, Have alook at www.motoringassist.com then click on breakdown cover, This is operated through a long established road safety organisation called GEM. I have been a member of GEM for nearly 30 yrs, have seen good reports of its breakdown service in the club magazine. Have a look at the website as there are many member benefits. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know anything about this company, but I can't say I am very attracted by this idea. To begin with, you would have to pay up-front an unspecified sum, at a time when you had not budgeted for such an expenditure and then hope that the company did in fact refund the money within the specified period. Nor do they appear to be offering anything beyond basic roadside recovery - no replacement vehicle, no transport on to destination, no overnight accomodation if your caravan is unusable, etc. etc. I'll stick to my tried and tested, if fairly expensive RAC Arrival policy! I know that that takes care of my real needs in an emergency.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Sod's law states that you will break down when you can least afford it. Green Flag for me every time!
FAO Chrissis, I have just spent 20 minute on the phone to the RAC trying to find out about their Arrival policy. I can't understand what the guy in India is saying and I don't think he understands what I want!!! Do you have to be a member of the C&CC to have this product or do you just get a discount if you are. I read on their website that caravans are covered under their standard policy but if the van breaks down the RAC will arrange recovery but not pay for it. I am trying to arrange cover for Easter any help appreciated. Denise

May 20, 2005
Visit site
FAO Denise You have to be a member of C&CC to be able to join the RAC Arrival scheme. If your caravan breaks down ie. a wheel falls off they will recover the caravan, of course it covers your car as well.

All other RAC schemes do not cover the recovery of your caravan if it is the cause of the break down your on your own.

I ask the RAC this question a couple of years ago this was there reply.

Thank you for your email to RAC Motoring Services. Please accept my

apologies for the delay in reply.

I would like to advise that under our Recovery service caravans/trailers on tow at the time of a breakdown

are covered up to a maximum overall length of 7.6 metres (25 feet)including tow bar. However, if it is your

caravan or trailer that has broken down at the roadside and we cannot repair it at the scene, then if

requested to do so by the Police we will remove it to a place of safety.

If you require the broken down caravan/trailer to be recovered to a destination of your choice we will arrange

but not pay for this.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

If you require any further assistance please contact us again.

Regards

Tessa Francis

RAC Customer Services

So I phoned them up and told them I was a member of the C&CC they asked for my C&CC membership number and just added Arrival cover to my existing cover at no extra charge.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
FAO Chrissis, I have just spent 20 minute on the phone to the RAC trying to find out about their Arrival policy. I can't understand what the guy in India is saying and I don't think he understands what I want!!! Do you have to be a member of the C&CC to have this product or do you just get a discount if you are. I read on their website that caravans are covered under their standard policy but if the van breaks down the RAC will arrange recovery but not pay for it. I am trying to arrange cover for Easter any help appreciated. Denise
Yes, Denise, it is a scheme for C&CC members only. Not a problem for us, as we use a lot of their other services too, but a subscription just to get this insurance would make it very expensive indeed. At best, it isn't cheap, but it seems to cover just about every possible disaster involving a car and caravan. The few times we have needed to use it, service has been excellent. We've talked to a man in Lyon and a man in Barcelona, but have had no problems with understanding either!

TRENDING THREADS