Breakdown cover

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Hi all, having read the points raised on this subject I decided to contact my breakdown providers which are GEM. I put the relevant scenarios to a customer service member of staff who then contacted the underwriters for clarification. The results were that the caravan would have to be attached to car in the event of a RTA or breakdown which could not be repaired at roadside to have cover, however if you were at a caravan site and requested assistance then they would help to a point where if needed they would recover car and caravan to a destination of my choice.

Apr 20, 2008
Visit site
I purchased Mayday Premium UK cover only yesterday @ £113 after thoroughly researching breakdown cover. One of the benefits of being retired is that I have a little more time on my hands to research things. I was shocked to learn that for years the breakdown cover policies I'd historically purchased could have potentially been far from adequate if I'd had to use them whilst towing. I was unaware of the benefits of 'double drop off', 'dual recovery', unlimited caravan length (I've always towed twin axles just shy of 8m & many policies only cover up to 7m although some are clearer than others about whether this includes the a-frame), cover for RTA recovery (in addition to breakdowns, provided you've first rang the and sought permission from the emergency services to be towed from the scene of the RTA), cover for the caravan if its the cause of the breakdown rather than the tow vehicle, cover for flat tyres regardless of cause (some policies only cover puntures from nails etc. rather than tyre damage from potholes). The only comparable cover for caravanners which I found was the RAC Arrival policy which was considerably more expense than Mayday even after being a C&CC member. I found no discount codes, cashback etc. for Mayday which was a little disappointing :( That said I feel the cover I have is way better than that I've had historically & the Mayday reviews from members who have used the service was very positive.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi all, having read the points raised on this subject I decided to contact my breakdown providers which are GEM. I put the relevant scenarios to a customer service member of staff who then contacted the underwriters for clarification. The results were that the caravan would have to be attached to car in the event of a RTA or breakdown which could not be repaired at roadside to have cover, however if you were at a caravan site and requested assistance then they would help to a point where if needed they would recover car and caravan to a destination of my choice.
Basically if you are involved in a RTA while away from the caravan, you are on your own?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Not exactly on topic, but this linked, I think.

When I had a caravan wheel detachment in France. My breakdown asked if it was an accident or a breakdown. Strangely, the decision was left to me. If I chose accident, I would have had to go through my car insurance. But for breakdown, they would deal with the caravan. (The car was fine).

I chose breakdown. Not too sure that was the right decision as the French recovery was unprofessional in the extreme.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Not exactly on topic, but this linked, I think.

When I had a caravan wheel detachment in France. My breakdown asked if it was an accident or a breakdown. Strangely, the decision was left to me. If I chose accident, I would have had to go through my car insurance. But for breakdown, they would deal with the caravan. (The car was fine).

I chose breakdown. Not too sure that was the right decision as the French recovery was unprofessional in the extreme.

John
Strictly I’d consider yours a breakdown as opposed to an event that required your insurers input to the car. It certainly wasn’t an RTA involving only your car.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Strictly I’d consider yours a breakdown as opposed to an event that required your insurers input to the car. It certainly wasn’t an RTA involving only your car.
I have often wondered what my car insurers would have said if I had tried a claim through them.

John

Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
Basically if you are involved in a RTA while away from the caravan, you are on your own?
Yes you have it in one needless to say I will not be renewing my cover next month. Have spoken to a MayDay representive and he has confirmed that both the Premium @ £113 and Premium Plus @ £143 both offer cover for the situations being discussed I think the only difference is the £143 option covers caravan not movable pre holiday etc.(y)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes you have it in one needless to say I will not be renewing my cover next month. Have spoken to a MayDay representive and he has confirmed that both the Premium @ £113 and Premium Plus @ £143 both offer cover for the situations being discussed I think the only difference is the £143 option covers caravan not movable pre holiday etc.(y)
We have Premium Plus which was renewed in April. Peace of mind.

TRENDING THREADS