Breakdown in France

May 18, 2006
Visit site
We did the Hull Zeebrugger crossing and 2 stopped down France to our site in Castellane just North of Nice. By the time we got to the site the front wheel bearing on the car was 'growling' quite badly. Gave it a day to cool down and then did a drive on the mountain roads and it sounded worse.

Decided that the car would not make the 800+ mile drive home so I went to a local garage to try to get it repaired. It was a Saturday and they were closed until the Monday. I phoned the Red Pennant insurance co. on the Sunday afternoon and the lady said she would try and get a garage to do the repair the following week.

She phoned me on Monday lunch time to say that no garages could do the repair for a couple of weeks so the insurance co. would provide a replacement tow car so we could continue our holiday and tow our van home, and recover my car back to England.

Overnight a guy drove from Stutgart to the site with our replacement car - which turned out to be a nearly new Audi Q7

(with German number plates).

We used this LHD car for the rest of the holiday and towed our van back up France and back over the Zeebrugger crossing and home. We were not asked any questions at either port about the German reg car and English van. People did not know whether to speak to us in German of English!

When we got home we emptied the car and filled it with diesel and within an hour someone came from thr CC and picked the car up to drive back to Hull and take the car to Brugges.

After a couple of phone calls to the Red Pennant they said my car had been picked up and put on a transporter which was picking up other broken down cars in Europe and it would be delivered home within 3 weeks. I contacted the site where I left my car today and it has not been picked up yet. After another call to the insurance co. they said my car should be back home next Friday. I hope so.

Quite an eventfull holiday but the excellent service by the insurance company meant our holiday was not ruined. I just wish they could get my car back home as quick as they took the hire car off us

Graeme.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
That sounds like a result.

Did they give you a German registered car because it's illegal to tow a trailer (over 500kg) that's not French registered with a French registered car ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts