breaking brackets

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
hello everyone, my name is keith and i am new to the forum, single dad with three kids, i want to know if anyone can help me, my parents purchased a brand new bailey ps7 champagne 2 months ago and the brackets that fix the wall of the washroom to the floor keep breaking, it has been to the dealer once and it went back again yesterday, and i wanted to know if it is a manufacturing fault or not. has anyone got the same van as my parents and had the same problem, it is a rather annoying problem on a brilliant van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Keith,

I don't know if this is a common problem, but if the dealer has failed to correct the fault once, there must be heightened concerns that they don't know what the problem is, and it must be more serious than at first thought. My concern is if there is such movement on one wall that's visible, there might be similar movement on other walls that might be hidden, or waiting to happen elsewhere. Which ever way you look at it, the caravan is seriously devalued because of this fault and it may be unsafe.

Under the Sale of Good Act, a seller/trader/dealer is required to sell new goods that are fit for purpose, of merchantable quality, and free from design, material, or workmanship faults.

A separating wall is clearly a serious fault. It is unlikely to be a design fault, as there will be other caravans of the same design that don't exhibit in the same way. So this leaves workmanship or material faults. Because of the fault, the caravan is not of merchantable quality, especially as the fault may be symptom of a more serious under lying condition, and we don't know for sure but it may have safety implications.

Do not forget that your parents have made an investment in good faith, and they have the right to expect the product to be in good order and worth the money they have invested. A Faulty product is always worth less than an equivalent none faulty one so they have suffered a loss, unless the repairs will be undetectable and can guarantee the product will be as good as if no fault had occurred. So they need to take formal steps to protect their investment.

I strongly advise that you seek professional legal advice about the next steps. Depending on the severity of the fault your parents may consider rejecting the caravan, and insisting on either their money back or a new replacement, Fortunately as the caravan is less than six months old there is a strong case for this, but your adviser who will have access to all the details will be in a better position to give appropriate advice.

I am absolutely certain that your parents should write to the dealer detailing the history of the fault and making it clear that they have concerns about the construction, safety and value of the caravan. Ask what the dealer is going to do about it in compliance with the Sale of Goods Act. Insist on a written reply. Keep copies of all correspondents and only agree to things you receive in writing. If you have any face to face conversations or telephone calls note the details and ask for the details to be recorded but make no verbal agreements, that way they cannot wriggle out of any agreements they may make.

I am sure that dealers do not deliberately sell faulty caravans, but none the less the law does make them responsible for what they sell, and if its wrong, then its is their fault, they should put checks in place to prevent them from accepting faulty goods from their suppliers/manufacturers, in just the same way that you don't have to accept faulty goods when you purchase items.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Keith

Do you mean the interior wall between the toilet and twin dinette as opposed to an exterior wall?

If so the I can tell you we had the same problem some years ago on our S5 Pageant Vendee. The toilet is very close to the internal wall and when in use there is a tendancy to lean on the wall. This caused a number of the cheap metal brackets to fracture.

The solution was to use three brackets evenly spaced rather than the original one. We never had any more trouble. The failed bracket was teh one on the floor to bottom of wall.

Cheers

Dustydog

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
it is the interior wall between w/room and the dinette, the dealer said they are going to speak to bailey about the problem, so we will have to wait and see what they suggest, thanks for the advice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts