breakway cable

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
It depends.

If you are planning to visit Holland or Germany, then you must clip the breakaway cable to a fixed point on the tow-bar frame.

This is also recommended in the UK towing guidelines - and does seem to be the most sensible advice - providing you have the right (carabina style) brake-away cable and a fixed point welded on the tow-bar.

Otherwise the UK recommendations allow you too loop the brake-away cable over the tow-ball - but this does assume that the detachable tow-ball was correctly fitted into the receiver (some of the cheaper designs with fiddly locking catches don't seem ideal from an engineering view point)

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I am not aware that it is a legal requirement to clip the breakaway cable to a fixed point on the towbar frame in Germany, even though I would agree that this is the best practice. I know that you have provided evidence that the requirement does exist in the Netherlands, though.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I have a detachable towbar on my car and there is nowhere to attach the breakway cable to a fixed point on the car. I have always wrapped the cable around the bar and hooked it back on its self. Any ideas how I would stand if stopped in either of these countries? Not really sure of the way forward on this one!

Graeme.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If no suitable anchorage point is provided, you have no option but to loop the breakaway cable back on itself. No-one can demand that you have one welded to the towbar frame before visiting the Netherlands.

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
I have a detachable towbar on my Citroen C5 estate and have fitted an anchor point for the breakaway cable to the towbar mounting bolt. You can buy the anchoridge from accessory outlets but it may not be suitable for your particular set up.

Chrisbee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts