Brighouse Bay

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We're off to Brighouse Bay in Dumfries & Galloway in August. Anyone been? What's it like? (We have 3 kids aged 7 - 11) Also, does the site experience midges? Would appreciate your comments. Many Thanks. Ken

Mar 24, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken, we were planning on going in June and it took four requests before I eventually got a brochure off them.When we looked at the prices they where for only two people. I then had the extra for my two kids, the extra cost for an awning, the extra cost for a serviced pitch, which includes electric/and tv socket hire. Although they is a lot on the site, you have to pay for most of the things, even the use of the swimming pool. It was going to cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

My son & his family went there last summer and enjoyed it so much that they are going back again this year.The beach is extremely good for children in that it is extremely flat.The facilities are expensive,but the choice is yours.There are another 2 sites in the area which belong to the same group ( Gillespie Leisure ) so if Brighouse is too expensive try the others.They still let you use the facilites at Brighouse ( obviously at a price )

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
BRIGHOUSE BAY IS ONE OF THE BEST SITES IVE BEEN ON,WE WENT WENT WHEN THE KIDS WERE YOUNG(12 TO 14 YEARS AGO )WHEN THER WAS NOT AS MUCH THERE AS THER IS NOW,EVEN THEN IT WAS DEARER THAN MOST.WEVE BEEN BACK SINCE A FEW TIMES AND YES IT IS EXPENSIVE,BUT FOR KIDS,THE BAYS,THE SURROUNDING AREAS THE SITE ITSELF IS BRILLIANT,YOU MUST GO AND TRY IT,YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Ken, we went in August last year and I don't recall any serious problems with midges. The site is very family oriented, but I did find it a bit isolated as is is a good few miles drive to the nearest main road, and then a good few miles further before you reach a town. If you plan to stay on the site then you will have a great time.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken,

We've been a few times before and are going again for a week in July. We thought it was great.

It's a very clean site with plenty facilities. Nice beach, golf course (9 hole & 18 hole)swimming pool and play area. You are only a short drive to the Galloway Forest Park where there are fantastic biking and walking trails. Check out their website on www.gillespie-leisure.co.uk. Hope you enjoy. Mac

Apr 2, 2005
Visit site
We've just came back from Dumfries. We were all set to go to the Gillespies group site (Brighouse Bay), after my partner went when she was a child. But after looking at the cost involved & as we were only going for a weekend and not to stay on-site (visiting friends and do abit of site seeing)... we choose to stay at an alternative site. There are hundreds of sites to choose. We ended up @ Southerness which is a couple of miles from the center of Dumfries and is so close to the old lighthouse on the coast... we jumped out of the van & onto the beach within 30 seconds.

We went there last year, it is a great site and worth the money, good for golf, nice pool and surrounding facilities. Easy to get to and find. But if you are looking to travel around and find lots to do in the area you may be a bit disappointed. The town nearby is nice, Kirkcudbright, but there is not much around. Don't go to Stranrear, you may be disappointed. But the coast is beautiful. Depends what you want I suppose.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts