Brittany in August

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,
Just picked a new van up a few weeks ago and we are considering going to Brittany in August (this will be our first trip abroad in a caravan).
The coastline, villages and campsites all look great but a posts have been putting me off saying we need to go further south for the weather.

For those who say go further south, is this because you want temps above 25c or because there is a high chance it'll rain for two weeks?

I'd be happy with 18c or above, high 20's is too hot..............two weeks of rain would be another matter!

Anybody speak from experience?

The only guarantee is you can't guarantee the weather anywhere!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wyrewanderer said:
Hi all,
Just picked a new van up a few weeks ago and we are considering going to Brittany in August (this will be our first trip abroad in a caravan).
The coastline, villages and campsites all look great but a posts have been putting me off saying we need to go further south for the weather.

For those who say go further south, is this because you want temps above 25c or because there is a high chance it'll rain for two weeks?

I'd be happy with 18c or above, high 20's is too hot..............two weeks of rain would be another matter!

Anybody speak from experience?

The only guarantee is you can't guarantee the weather anywhere!!

Our first foreign holidays were to Britanny and we always had good weather. Of course there were wet days but that’s unavoidable given that its temperate maritime. But our kids still reflect on the good times that they had. Temperatures were always nicely warm but not baking. But of course baking might be the new norm.

As we progressed in adventure we ventured to the Vendee which climate wise is warmer and drier than Britanny with endless beaches. And eventually you finish at Biarittz.

Enjoy Britanny for your first adventure.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm with Clive on that one we have been to france 2 times once to the Loire Valley , the weather was spot on it's a good drive from Calais and the second time to the Dordogne which is a good few hours but worth it in the end , we are doing the Vendee and Loire Valley this year and can't wait , it's about 5 or 6 hour drive from Calais but also worth it .

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the reply's.
We haven't fully decide on Brittany yet, I suppose one reason its on the list is it's closeness to the ports. The Vendee and Loire Valley have been looked at as well.
Out of interest, where abouts in the Loire and Vendee have you been and how long did it take you?
We travel from Lancashire to Cornwall in one hit so don't mind a bit of a journey if need be!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The first place we done was
https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjC4Mazjt_gAhUXnNUKHXk3DiEYABAAGgJ3cw&ae=1&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESEeD2bn3nkMWG0RJcvp_FxyG1&sig=AOD64_39d0f4grNZh8Hjuq4FHuotxWHjVA&q&adurl=https://www.rent-a-tent.uk/france/vendee/campsite/le-pin-parasol?gclid%3DCjwKCAiAqt7jBRAcEiwAof2uK8eVJFWcYq-05nPCDz68nI4GWOFpLRJCRBx2NrOgEwcQM2igluowPBoCWvIQAvD_BwE&ved=2ahUKEwjbo7-zjt_gAhXB8eAKHQulDLQQ0Qx6BAgMEAE
but we did a stop over at a site nr Le man's then continued the next day as it was quite a hike , then we done the Dordogne https://www.soleilplage.fr/ even though we had a good 5am start in the morning it still took about 8 hours though , and it was a lovely site as we spent most of the time on the river which was a 2 minute walk from the site , this year we are going to
https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=active&client=ms-android-samsung&ei=jDB4XOinJsKtgwfH7LTwDw&q=camping+de+la+beche+france&oq=campinde+la+beche+france&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-serp.1.0.30i10.7215.9322..10814...0.0..0.108.576.3j3......0....1.........35i304i39.CGsX5HB7jKg , I think this is about the 5 hour drive 6 with a break or 3 but I'm not bothered about that.. B)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
This may sound a daft question, but why are you going in August? France is packed with Grockles at that time. Best time if you can is mid June just into the beginning of July before Le Grand Depart of city dwellers to the coast takes place.

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
I know but unfortunately we are stuck to school holidays, not ideal but for another few years we are stuck with it.
Would the Loire valley be quieter in August than the coast?

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Wyrewanderer said:
Any suggestions on the Sat Nav kit?

We have this one but we've had it for a few years now but there's a lot on the market to choose from and like you are stuck to six week holidays but we just get on with it .

Another tip is if you do decide to go is drive to Dover first stop the night and get an early shuttle ( 35 mins ) or ferry across ( 1h4o ) so that you are fresh in the morning for driving .

Happy hunting !!

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Good idea, i've been thinking which way to do the ferry crossings. I have looked at Poole -Cherbourg but with the 13;45 arrival in France it doesn't give us much time to reach our site.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wyrewanderer said:
Any suggestions on the Sat Nav kit?

I just use my Garmin programmed in advance with my selected route. Also have Google or Via Michelin route on phone and in hard copy. Plus good old fashioned good scale maps. I also do what I do in UK which is check possible tricky sections and approach to camp sites on Streetview. Also stick to the campsites recommended approach directions.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you have an underslung spare wheel I would take it out and carry it in the caravan or car. This way it is safer if you should have a puncture as you will not have to remove it into the stream of adjacent traffic.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Sat Nav, we have a Snooper, with all the Cc, Cand Mc, AcSi sites, and the German sites installed. The CAMC overseas book for France is great , it shows all the municipal sites, as well. The ACSI card is worth getting if your going to move around for the cost of it it can save money.

Remember, France closes for lunch between 12.00 and 15.00 every day and the weekend starts friday afternoon until maybe Tuesday in certain areas. Learn to really relax. And enjoy the experience.

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
One option is to stay on the coast between Nantes and Brest. We’d leave Lancashire and travel to Poole where we would overnight and catch the morning ferry to Cherbourg arriving at 13:45. We would then look at driving to our site that day.
Do you think we could make last check in?

Hyperthetical at the moment as we haven’t decided on a site but presume they all close at similar times?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Nantes a really nice area and city. Don’t underestimate the time to drive up the Cherbourg peninsular and off loading customs time in ferry. Don’t rush as the roads and signs will be unfamiliar. Best check with site fior their check in times. Or late arrivals.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wyrewanderer said:
How long would you allow for off loading and driving to the area I’ve mentioned?

Well Google is saying near 350 km and four hours without a stop in a solo car.
Ferry unloading depends on where your outfit is placed in the decks. Arrival time is when the ferry berths and 30 minutes to us actually driving off isn’t infrequent. Then the unknown is what if any checks french immigration and customs will require post Brexit.

You should reckon on nearer 2000 h with one 30 minute stop. But if any concerns just stop over at an enroute site such as one of the municipal. They are fine and if there’s a local eateries or bar makes a nice start to the holiday after what will be a long day 1. Don’t be tempted to drive to the clock.

Jul 14, 2018
Visit site
Ok, thanks for that.
After a day travelling to Pool i'd like to make it to our chosen site the next day. May need to look at different Ferry/times or stay further north.
For this two week holiday I don't want to do more than two days travelling each way.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wyrewanderer said:
Ok, thanks for that.
After a day travelling to Pool i'd like to make it to our chosen site the next day. May need to look at different Ferry/times or stay further north.
For this two week holiday I don't want to do more than two days travelling each way.

Is there an overnight sailing? Or does the fast ferry from Portsmouth get you there earlier?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Wyrewanderer said:
I will have another look at the ferries and see which one will fit our needs.

Many thanks

The early ferry Portsmouth to Cherbourg takes 3 hours. Be there for lunchtime even allowing fir one hour time difference in France.

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Brittany is fantastic, over 30 years experience of going to France we have ended up in Brittany usually along its south coast and can honestly say we have had only one holiday where the weather has let us down, yes we have had the odd day of rain. Lots to see and do and fantastic beaches in Brittany.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We done an overnight ferry to Holland year before last - never again :sick: it will always be a quick ferry across from Dover to Calais on Eurotunnel for us .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts