Brittle plastic parts

Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
Apart from selling spare parts ,why are caravan accessories made from inferior plastics?They just seem to crack or break at the earliest opportunity.Truma water pump pistol a good example but everything else is just as bad..Good durable plastics are available

Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
My main point is that the cheap plastic parts are on every caravan irrespective of price and the said parts are used all the time eg water pump,gas outlet,bbq cover water inlet to name a few. Ifyou pay 20k more than the same van in the budget range then you should expect better

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Apart from selling spare parts ,why are caravan accessories made from inferior plastics?They just seem to crack or break at the earliest opportunity.Truma water pump pistol a good example but everything else is just as bad..Good durable plastics are available

Hi kbrad.
I'm not sure that inferior plastics are being used.
What is happening though in my humble opinion, is that caravan components are made with weight saving in mind. Therefore they are not as robust as they could be if weight wasn't a consideration.
I have learned to treat everything in and on my caravan with kid gloves as a result.
Personally, I havent had a problem with the trigger for the Truma pump. However, on a recent holiday my friends pitched next to us in their new to them caravan and they could not get the Truma water pump to release from the inlet. I went over and tried but became very concerned that either the pump connection or the port on the caravan was going to break if any kind of undue force was applied to it. Eventually, after a few minutes of gentle jiggling it did come free without any damage but, that was pure luck and certainly not the way mine releases.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My main point is that the cheap plastic parts are on every caravan irrespective of price and the said parts are used all the time eg water pump,gas outlet,bbq cover water inlet to name a few. Ifyou pay 20k more than the same van in the budget range then you should expect better
I’m not sure that the economics of manufacture really favour having different parts for budget and top spec vans. Where do mid range vans sit? Sitting beneath the parts will be drawings, parts lists, material specs, manufacture specs, contracts, sub contractors, warehouse stockholdings etc. What might be better would be higher quality durable parts for all applications.

Oct 20, 2022
Visit site
That’s what I meant Clive,parts you use every day on the van should be sturdy and durable whether be it budget or luxury,if you pay top dollar you should expect the difference paid reflected in the quality of the shell,cabinets ,beds,carpets and appliances

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi kbrad.
I'm not sure that inferior plastics are being used.
What is happening though in my humble opinion, is that caravan components are made with weight saving in mind. Therefore they are not as robust as they could be if weight wasn't a consideration.
I have learned to treat everything in and on my caravan with kid gloves as a result.
Personally, I havent had a problem with the trigger for the Truma pump. However, on a recent holiday my friends pitched next to us in their new to them caravan and they could not get the Truma water pump to release from the inlet. I went over and tried but became very concerned that either the pump connection or the port on the caravan was going to break if any kind of undue force was applied to it. Eventually, after a few minutes of gentle jiggling it did come free without any damage but, that was pure luck and certainly not the way mine releases.
I think it is a combination of inferior plastics and components not being robust enough. On a previous caravan, the pistol grip broke when the technician removed it from the housing. It was only 2 months old. Replaced under warranty then it was my turn for it to break.
Pulled new pump out of the housing a couple of months later and it literally fell apart in my hands. Third time just stopped working and was replaced again. all this within a year and lucky all under warranty.
When the fourth one started giving hassles, I replaced it with a Whale pistol grip equivalent which we sued for the next 4 years and we still have that pump although we traded in that caravan.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
They simply make things as cheaply as possible in the knowledge that when it breaks you have no choice but to buy another from them.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
Not just caravan parts. I've got through a few camping chairs in the past. Usually all made of metal apart from one critical joint which will be made of plastic! Even my expensive at the time Outwell chair has some plastic joints but to be fair, it's lasted the course.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ours are 10 years old, no sign of issues.
Cats blacker! Nearly 15 years👍There’s plastic and plastic and polymers. The big cost is making the injection mould. Make a few parts,high cost , thousands , cheap
Back in the 50’s and 60’s Hong Kong plastic was rubbish, brittle. Technology has moved on

TRENDING THREADS