Broadband

Tiz

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi

What is the best way of using mobile broadband?

We have a new laptop running windows 7 and will want to visit sites like this when we are away in the caravan which we use for about 12/14 weeks a year. It was my intention to buy a pay as you go from vodaphone; however they now appear to be only doing a 30 day expiry deal like everyone else. So what advice can you give as to the best or the worst package?

Tiz

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
OOOps wrong place!!

I use an Orange PAYG phone as a modem with my laptop but restrict it to emails and paying bills. The price doubles when you are abroad but it still works out OK for me.

Word of caution - make sure you disable ALL auto updates on your laptop before you go as a windows update cost me

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a USB lead for my Ericsson phone and connect to the internet with laptop just for email and banking or important jobs when I cannot get WiFi. I use it in Europe too when WiFi is not available or too expensive. Does not cost a huge amount.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can a UK purchased dongle be used in Spain and Portugal? I assume it would be a lot more expensive if it could be used.

Would it be cheaper to buy a pay-as-u-go dongle in the country?

Mar 28, 2007
Visit site
If you're really desperate, piggy back onto an unsecure connection, you will often find them in town centres, or even pop into your local MacDonalds

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
You can still get the Vodafone 'non expiring' "Pay As You GO" Dongle.(see below for expiry conditions)

There is old stock still out there with that long expiry facility so useful for our casual needs.

You have to get the K3565 one [not the new K3565 R ( note the key is the suffix "R", it must be only the number]

These outlets are still selling the right one:

Some Tesco stores still have it (

Tiz

Mar 15, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks all of you. I have managed to buy a Vodafone Top up K3565, the old type with extend expiry,from our local Curry's (Retford, North Notts).

Very easy to setup, should be great for occasional use this season, we intent to start using the van within the next few weeks.

Once again many thanks.

Tiz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts