Broadway House Cheddar

Mar 23, 2007
Visit site
If ever you should need evidence of "rip off Britain" then look no further than Broadway House camping and Caravan Park in Cheddar, Somerset.

We recently had a 6 night stay with our 6 year old grandson and can honestly say that we would never return for another stay.

Our stay cost us £180.00 for the 6 nights. This included a slightly bigger pitch to accommodate our 24ft van and an awning.

To cut a long story short I will highlight some of the good and bad points.

Bad points.

Although upon booking you were sent a "Passport" with all your details, this did nothing to assist the check in process which took 25 minutes initially and 2hrs in total due to the fact that we had to move pitches twice as our van would not fit on the allocated pitches.

The pitch we eventually ended up on was in field 10, which was at least a 300 yard walk to any toilet/shower facilities or waste disposal points.

Showers/toilets were not very clean and we never ever saw any staff around the whole of our stay.

If you look at the brochure it appears that there are lots of activities, but many you have to pay extra for and many were not operating at all.

No restrictions on dogs in the children's play area, and again no staff to keep an eye on things.

The swimming pool was very nice, but again with the amount of children on the site you would have expected to see some form of supervision, but no staff around at all.

If you had someone visit you on the site they would be charged £5.50p each if they stayed more that 25 minutes. When asked what this charge was for we were told "to enter the sight".

Pitches are designed to pack as many units in as possible. Far better to have less pitches and better customer care. Staffs were not at all friendly. An example on the same scale would be Stowford farm meadows. Just as many pitches, but spotlessly clean, staff around all the time and very friendly.

The site is big, but it seems that no attempt was being made to keep it tidy. You got the impression that no one was going to attempt to clean up until the end of the season.

One of the things listed in the brochure as be "free" is entrance to the bar. This was presumably to make the list of "free items look good. I don't think that any of it was "free" and we paid through the nose for it.

Good Points.

Very well stocked shop with groceries, camping and caravanning spares and toys and games for the kids.

Swimming pool was nice, but as said before no supervision.

Same with the play area, good facilities but no supervision and nothing to stop dogs/pets onto the play area.

If we are to encourage people to holiday in this fine land of ours then we have to stop ripping people off and start by giving value for money.

Anyone else stayed there?

Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
Jeff

We have stayed there but it was off season and not many people were there. I must admitt it did cross my mind that it would be a bit packed come high season, and our " A " frame was rather close to the road because the pitch was abit small.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at the site last week for three nights with two grandsons.

It was a different experience for us as we normally go for less children oriented sites.

To us the sit was a revelation. We found the site well run i.e. check in about 10 minutes. The site was clean and tidy with the pitches well laid out and each equipped with water supply and ehu.

We paid

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts