brum brum hum

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi folks

Nice day today . Question UK driving licenses 70+

I read that when we get to 70 + we have to have a physical med exam to keep it !!

Is thiscorrect? have they changed the rules I thought it was a questionaire every 3yers ?

anyone know..

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Do you intend driving an HGV or a coach ?
If you intend to keep your 7.5 ton license then you need a signed medical declairatiopn from your GP.
No physical medical is needed (yet!)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
No medical required for car classes. Very simple process to obtain new licence at 70 plus online every three years. I’ve renewed mine on Sunday online and the replacement licence has already been dispatched. All I need then to do is cut up the old license and return to DVLA

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Do you intend driving an HGV or a coach ?
If you intend to keep your 7.5 ton license then you need a signed medical declairatiopn from your GP.
No physical medical is needed (yet!)
C1 licence is needed to drive motorhomes over 3500 kg - this needs a D4 medical at age 70 and every three years - my understanding is that the simple declaration by the GP is abolished, replaced by the D4 medical.

Reactions: Hutch
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Be aware if you go overseas. You can renew your licence at 70 up to 90 days in advance but the start date of your new licence will be the date on which it was issued and NOT the day after your old licence would have expired. Other countries - notably in the EU - will not accept this extension, so as far as they are concerned you licence will expire 3 years from the date on which it was issued which could theoretically leave you unlicenced.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
C1 licence is needed to drive motorhomes over 3500 kg - this needs a D4 medical at age 70 and every three years - my understanding is that the simple declaration by the GP is abolished, replaced by the D4 medical.
does this apply to towing a van over 3.5 combined weight?
Who does this D4 medical?

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Be aware if you go overseas. You can renew your licence at 70 up to 90 days in advance but the start date of your new licence will be the date on which it was issued and NOT the day after your old licence would have expired. Other countries - notably in the EU - will not accept this extension, so as far as they are concerned you licence will expire 3 years from the date on which it was issued which could theoretically leave you unlicenced.
so do you keep your old licence until day od expiry (70) confused there need a different way explaining .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
so do you keep your old licence until day od expiry (70) confused there need a different way explaining .
No when the application for your licence is submitted to dvla you are asked to return the old one cut into pieces. I still have my old paper licence for sentimental reasons. But at 70, 73 and now 76 I have only returned the old licence when the new one has been received. But since DVLA have the approved application for a new licence it’s not really necessary to retain the old one until the new one is received. It’s more to do in my case with using it as identification for Power of Attorney or even hiring a Rug Doctor or and tools/equipment.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
does this apply to towing a van over 3.5 combined weight?
Who does this D4 medical?
No - the BE just needs a self-declaration - this entitles you to drive a vehicle up to 3500 kg PLUS a trailer up to 3500 kg.

The D4 medical is done by most (but not all ) GPs but there is a wide variation in cost so it pays to shop around - it doesn't need to be your own GP.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I applied for my licence on 1 October (Sunday) and it arrived today. It’s valid from 2 October 2023 and expires three weeks after my 79 th birthday. I think the additional period is a hang over from covid days when because of staffing issues licences were taking a long while to process.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I applied for my licence on 1 October (Sunday) and it arrived today. It’s valid from 2 October 2023 and expires three weeks after my 79 th birthday. I think the additional period is a hang over from covid days when because of staffing issues licences were taking a long while to process.
Some licences are still taking a long time to process - my (one year medically restricted) licence expired 20th April 2023 - in accordance with DVLA rules I reapplied 3 months earlier in January and I'm still waiting - mind you during covid the renewal took more than 12 months so I had to reapply as I only get 12 months "grace" without a licence.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
No when the application for your licence is submitted to dvla you are asked to return the old one cut into pieces. I still have my old paper licence for sentimental reasons. But at 70, 73 and now 76 I have only returned the old licence when the new one has been received. But since DVLA have the approved application for a new licence it’s not really necessary to retain the old one until the new one is received. It’s more to do in my case with using it as identification for Power of Attorney or even hiring a Rug Doctor or and tools/equipment.
Just recently applied to renew mine, sent the application off and was returned because I didnt send my old one with the new application, (age is getting to me!!) re-sent the application with the old licence and just today received my new licence with 8 years on it to take me up to 70 years old.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just recently applied to renew mine, sent the application off and was returned because I didnt send my old one with the new application, (age is getting to me!!) re-sent the application with the old licence and just today received my new licence with 8 years on it to take me up to 70 years old.
On line application doesn’t require parallel return of licence. I posted my old one yesterday when the new one had been received. Even used DVLA’s addressed envelope too.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts