budget route to lake garda

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Folks

im wondering if anyone has some information on routes to lake garda southern end ,ive traveled there on five occasions from roscoff and from cherbourg and normally use toll moterway routes going around paris and through mont blanc and across to garda,however with the current recession and me having been out of work last year for five months for the first time in my life and now after having to take a wage reduction i find myself in the prediciment of not being able to afford the tolls for the 1600k each way motorway trip.my question is has or does anyone know a route that i could take to avoid tolls but still make good progress bearing in mind i have a large outfit nissan patrol and a wyoming t/a ,i have gone on some of the single carrigway roads in france but fing it very slow going and difficult in places . Any advice would be appreciated

luke

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Luke

Where do you land? If you are still landing at Roscoff then I think there will be little choice as to travel up to Germany first will add greatly to the fuel costs. The Mont Blanc tunnel is not cheap at about

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I agree with BarryB that is the route we always go. When in Austria fill up with Diesel cheapest in this part of Europe 93 p litre approx. except for Luxemburg yesterday we filled up at 87 pence litre

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Barry and Snooks

Im coming from cork ireland to roscoff,that seems like a long route but it might work out a bit cheaper do you have any idea what distance that would be and any suggestions for toll free drive across france thanks

luke

G

try the via Michelin website, as it has functions for towing a caravan and avoiding tolls,on top of the quickest route or shortest ect ect

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Barry and Snooks

Im coming from cork ireland to roscoff,that seems like a long route but it might work out a bit cheaper do you have any idea what distance that would be and any suggestions for toll free drive across france thanks

luke
Hi Luke

I estimate, using the German / Brenner route would be about 1050 miles Roscoff to Verona. I guess about 130 miles more than through France and using the Mont Blanc; so about 6 gallons and approx

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Luke

I think you are between a rock and a hard place. Unless you have got a lot of time to spare it could take you 4 days to get to Lake Garda. If I were heading for Garda I would probably go down through German and Austria, at least thats the route I have done before. However from where you crossing from you have a much longer journey just to get to Germany. If economy is important why not change the destination to somewhere nearer, perhaps the French Alps/Lake Annecy?

David

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Thanks to Everybody

For the good information,i have 22 days to play with and normally do the garda drive in 2 days so im thinking the longer route will take about 3 each way which will still give me two full weeks in garda. But as you pointed out im between the rock and the hard place a bit so i must consider a tour of normandy and brittany both of which i love and normally spend the last 5 or 6 days of the holiday in one or the other.The smart option says stick with northern france this year and start the saving earlier for next year as we normally take 5 weeks.

I will have to consider my options carefully for the next few weeks until i go on 7th august and once again a very large thank you to you guys Barry b,Snooks,Me and David Klyne for all your time and expierience.

I will post back and let everybody know what i option i go with and again many thanks to everybody for all the help.

luke

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts