Bunree and awnings.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have booked for Bunree, Onich for end of March and early April and I have heard that occasionally this site can "eat" awnings. Being early in the year and subject to possible bad weather, and given its open sea lochside location, we cant decide whether to take ours or not, have any of you got experience of this site. looking at pictures of the site, there doesnt seem to be mnay awnings erected.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Thingy said:
We have booked for Bunree, Onich for end of March and early April and I have heard that occasionally this site can "eat" awnings. Being early in the year and subject to possible bad weather, and given its open sea lochside location, we can't decide whether to take ours or not, have any of you got experience of this site. looking at pictures of the site, there doesn't seem to be many awnings erected.

I stayed at C&CC Oban which was sheltered... then stayed at C&CC Skye. The warden showing us our pitch actually asked if we were planning to put up an awning; we said no as we were only there 3 nights and we didn't have one with us. They said this was for the best as it was unlikely an awning would survive. We were then rocked to death by winds off the loch!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think Bunree dont allow awnings towards the front of the site. I would take one if the forecast looks okay but make sure you have storm straps.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I think you are right Clive, the very front row of pitches are non-awning, but I would expect most of the site to be pretty exposed to winds off the loch. I think we may just take the porch.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Clive is right. No awnings on the shore row. We took our Izzy porch and had no problems.
What make awning were you thinking of taking? Just across the road from the site is an excellent restaurant :)

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
We agree with the replies to the OP.
We had a 'Midnight Awning incident' here in the late 90's, we folded everything underneath the van till the morning, intending to dry it out and pack it in the bag. The morning following was a beautiful one with sunshine from the word go, no wind at all and folds of mist rolling down the loch seaward.
We re-erected the awning and thats how it was for the rest of that holiday. The only damage we suffered was the tearing of the front regulator strap.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
What make awning were you thinking of taking?

Izzy Magnum.

Funny you should mention that. After last summers disaster with the air awning, I did as I said I would and sold it the minute we got home. I replaced that with an Isabella Ambassador Insignia, but we have decided a porch will suit our needs more and also bought the Isabella Magnum, consequently we have the Ambassador for sale, brand new and never unpacked, and at a price that would be an incredible bargain for someone. If anyone knows anyone who wants a size 950, CarbonX, Im the man. Its on Fleabay if anyone is interested.

As for the pubs/restaurants, the free foot passenger crossing over the Corran ferry looks like a plan between the two inns. Do you mean the inn on the Onich side of the ferry? Is it the Corran Inn? The reviews on the Inn at Ardgour seem to be mixed.

Stopping at Strathclyde Country Park on the way up and down.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We stopped at Bunree but after a few days we moved a bit further south to another affiliated site called Leigh I think. Much better site than Bunree and Oban is just down the road.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We thought about Ledaig but i understand they have been having both scramblers racing on the beach and townies driving onto the site blasting horns recently. Put us off a bit.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the current weather and forecast, I am wondering if Connel Bridge is a bridge too far. May have to rethink this one and head to the softy south.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thingy said:
We thought about Ledaig but i understand they have been having both scramblers racing on the beach and townies driving onto the site blasting horns recently. Put us off a bit.

A pity if this is happening. From memory it has a barrier which should have prevented trespass.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Raywood said:
Thingy said:

A pity if this is happening. From memory it has a barrier which should have prevented trespass.

When we last were there you could walk along the foreshore and the grass area alongside the landing strip as it was.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
So. Here we are and we chanced the Magnum rather than the full awing. In two days we have had sunshine, rain, snow and gales. In the two nights we have been here so far both nights have been wild. The Magnum has taken it all in its stride.
Bunree is absolutely stunning, we are second row in but with full views so all is good. Found Strathclyde on the way up to be decent but serious road noise.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
No midgies. Wind too strong for the wee blighters. Not sure which eating house you mean, any chance of a heads up on that one.

Have been down to the Cluck Egg Inn (Clachaich Inn). That was a wee bit rustic but very good.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Thingy said:
No midgies. Wind too strong for the wee blighters. Not sure which eating house you mean, any chance of a heads up on that one.

Have been down to the Cluck Egg Inn (Clachaich Inn). That was a wee bit rustic but very good.
The Four Seasons. Walk out of the site and almost just across the road
http://www.inchree.co.uk/pub/

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts