Bunree CC site

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, we are off to the Bunree CC site at onich Scotland. We will be departing from Nottingham (J27 M1) and are currently considering two options of travel : option 1 is to go on the east side via the A1 and Edinburgh and over the forth road bridge and across, or option 2 is to go on the west side M6, A74, Glasgow, and then the A82.

Your options, preferences, or choices would be much appreciated, also things to do and see, eating out etc for a middle aged couple and there west highland terrier.

Many thanks in anticipation, Allan & Gill & Jack the w/h terrier.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
We'd go for option 2. Edinburgh is a nightmare to tow in or around. We live in the North of Scotland and would always go down the west coast route.

The trip up the gondola at the Nevis Range Ski centre on Aonach Mor is worthwhile on a clear day but I'm not sure if the Westie would be allowed. The restuarant at the top sells well priced good food, not haute cuisine but nothing wrong with it. If you're very fit you can tackle climbing Ben Nevis. The visitor centre at Glencoe is well worth a look and a visit to "Neptunes Staircase", a series of locks on the Fort William end of the Caledonian Canal is a must. Fort William is a nice little town.

I don't think we ate out much apart from at the ski centre but maybe someone else can help.

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the help and advice country lass, the west side it will be, and we will take on the attractions you have sugested.

Allan & Gill.
you dont go any where near edinburgh city

you go on the by pass before you are anywhere near the city follow it all the way till M8 go down it a bit to the sign post for the bridge

i stay in the area

myra

Feb 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Allan and Gill

I agree with Country Lass that the west side route may be best, but there's another option.

Don't know what outfit you have, but there are some tight bends at the top half of Loch Lomond - not the place you want to meet a tour bus. You could consider laeving M74 at Hamilton, take M73, which then joins M80 and head for Stirling, Calendar, Lochearnhead, Crianlarich. You'll pick up A82 there.

It's just as scenic and there's not much difference mileage wise.

Have a good trip.

Charles

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We came back from the north of Scotland last Sunday. We'd planned to come back South over the Forth Bridge, but it had terrible congestion because of massive roadworks, so we diverted to the Kincardine Bridge. There are some roadworks there too, but not too bad. My advice is to avoid the FB like the plague!

Have good trip. We were away 17 days, with sunshine on almost every one. Covered 1875 miles home-to-home!

Graham

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,

Charles has given the best route for you.

May I add.....places of interest.

Glencoe.....there is a visitor centre there which is very good.

Minutes from the site you can get the Corran ferry and go over to the Ardnamurchan peninsula.Mostly single track roads but hardly any traffic.

Glenfinnan on the road to Arisaig.There is a National Trust visitor centre there.Behind the centre is the famous viaduct used in filming Harry Potter and across the road is a memorial to Bonnie Prince Charlie with wonderful views down the Loch.

Take a trip to Spean Bridge and visit the memorial to paratroopers who trained in this wild area.

Enjoy your holiday,BUT make sure you have midge repellant with you.....absolutely essential.

Maureen

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allan

Travelling from North Yorkshire we always use the route suggested by Charles & Maureen. Using the A1 and A66 to pick up the M6 at Penrith.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
We came back from the north of Scotland last Sunday. We'd planned to come back South over the Forth Bridge, but it had terrible congestion because of massive roadworks, so we diverted to the Kincardine Bridge. There are some roadworks there too, but not too bad. My advice is to avoid the FB like the plague!

Have good trip. We were away 17 days, with sunshine on almost every one. Covered 1875 miles home-to-home!

Graham
Forth Bridge roadworks now finnished Kincardine due to continue for a few months yet.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the help and advice country lass, the west side it will be, and we will take on the attractions you have sugested.

Allan & Gill.
I'm afraid the bypass is not much better. We went this way once en-route to Jedburgh and vowed not to go that way again. We planned a different way home which was much less stressful. Everyone else on the bypass seemed to know exactly where they were going and made no allowance for visitors who might not be as familiar with the route, signposting was a bit inadequate and the whole trip around Edinburgh was awful. We like Edinburgh CC site but take a different route in Edinburgh to the one in the CC book to avoid some of the worst junctions.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
This may be too late but the route via Stirling, Callander Glen Coe is the best, I live in Stirling. We were there the other wee and had fantastic weather at Bunree. We took my elderly father who lives in the Borders and went to Ardnamurchan (2 hours single track and twisty) and also up the gondola on Aonach Mor. It was fantastic and my father was overjoyed. We had a lovely meal in the inn at the Corran Ferry just 1/2 from the site at Bunree.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts