burning smell whilst reversing twin axle

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Can anybody with a mechanical knowledge let me know if my clutch is cream crackered. Whilst reversing my new twin axle with a Kia Sorento i noticed a terrible burning smell and also found it hard to change gear. I unhitched and used the mover for the final bit. However, the smell did not go away and continued albeit not as bad on the trip home. Do I need a new clutch. Also I need some advice on reversing a twin axle. Everybody said it is easier but, I found it to be harder, maybe it was because it was my first time reversing a twin. Help needed.

Regards

Ian

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ian

Did you make sure you got the clutch up quickly ? main problem with burning clutches is when you are "slipping" it....creeping back slowly with a clutch only half up would probably burn and hence the smell.

I have a big twin, and providing im moving slow enough, i dont find it any harder than moving a single. As with all things, slow, easy and practise are the key....One thing i did learn though was to make sure you ALWAYS have someone watching the back of the caravan as it swings around, wether you are reversing or driving off a pitch,

Apr 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian, your clutch will proberly be ok. Had the same terrible smell when I first reversed my Wyoming with my Sorento a year ago. Still going strong!!! A tip I received was to switch the four wheel drive to low ( right hand side of dash) and then reverse with the clutch all the way out. Ignore the temptation to keep dipping the clutch and you will be fine. Best of luck.

Regards David(from Kent)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ian

As David says switch to low ratio and have the courage to let the clutch right out. She'll creep. If that's too fast use your foot brake.

Towed with our Sorie for 3 years and never had a problem.

The twins are only more difficult to reverse in so far as there is more resistance than a single otherwise it's the same.

If you are still worried have a look at "uksorento.com" . This question has been raised there before.

Cheers

Alan

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Had your caravan brakes released before you started to reverse?

After you stop & before you reverse, just pull forwards a bit to release the van brakes then reverse.

As you brake the piston on your coupling applys the van brakes, untill the piston is pulled out you have not released the van brakes

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
I had the same burning smell from our brand new Ford C-Max when reversing our 2 berth single axle. Concerned, I took it back to the dealer who checked it and reported nothing wrong with it. They said that it was most likely caused by clutch slip when "riding the clutch" (which you tend to do for control) and because clutches no longer contain asbestos.

I have a Powrtouch mover fitted to the caravan and was advised that I always use this to position the caravan instead of using the car to reverse it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian - My view is that modern cars/clutches are designed down to a price that are okay for the car but leave little in hand to cope with towing. I have a 1950 classic car that copes easily with reversing the van up a slope but the modern VW is hopeless! If you have a motor mover always use that, replacing a worn clutch is not cheap!

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
What concerned me aswell was the return journey where the clutch had a burning smell just from towing, which it never had before.

Regards

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just as a matter of interest if you have an Alko stabiliser hitch, the handle should be up when reversing to release the friction pads from the towball. Less friction and easier to manouvre as there's less resistance. Hope this helps, but don't like the bit about the lingering smell, sounds expensive!!

Good luck.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Now seem to have Kia at least taking interest in the problem, after continually saying no reported issues.

Getting some acknowledgement from Kia Customer Services ... take a look at this:
www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic18984_post127142.html#127142

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Sadie,

Most cars and lorries have a clutch. There are different types but the ones in question here are a dry plate of friction material sandwiched between the engines rotating output shaft and the geraboxes power input shaft. Normally the plate is sandwiched firmly and the engine and gear box speeds are 'locked' together. But when the clutch is operated the gear box is disengaged and it allows the gears to be changed, This means the shafts inside the gear box start to turn at different speeds. The disengagement gives time to adjust the engine speed to match the new speed of the gear box shaft, at which point the clutch can be reengaged, and again the engine and gear box speeds are locked together

The clutch also be partially engaged or feathered which allows the power from the engine to be slowly fed to the gear box to enable a smooth pull away from standstill. This is called 'slipping the clutch' and if you do too much slipping the clutch plate will heat up and can start to smell and at worst can be burnt out by over heating

Manual car have a clutch peddle operated by the driver, automatic cars may use a different system and have no clutch peddle.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Prof John
This topic is six years old and 'Shady Sadie' was a person who was trying to disrupt or destroy this forum at the time which is why 'Shady Sadie' and several other forum membership accounts originating from the same person was and is permanently banned from using this forum.
I can't believe you replied to it :lol:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
Prof John
This topic is six years old and 'Shady Sadie' was a person who was trying to disrupt or destroy this forum at the time which is why 'Shady Sadie' and several other forum membership accounts originating from the same person was and is permanently banned from using this forum.
I can't believe you replied to it :lol:

Just testing to see if you were watchin :unsure:

Sorry , I didn't notice the 6 years, I only noticed the 2 weeks. But at least you now know what a clutch is ;)

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
gooner44 said:
Just as a matter of interest if you have an Alko stabiliser hitch, the handle should be up when reversing to release the friction pads from the towball. Less friction and easier to manouvre as there's less resistance.

That's amazing, I never knew that! Thanks Gooner

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts