Buying a Caravan in the UK when you are from the US

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Kitrina,you don't say; unless it is much further into the post where you are coming from; to end up in England.I assume by your reference to 'pulled trailer' that you are either from the USA or Canada!!?.
Have you considered a Fifth Wheel Outfit?,there is a company in The North Wales Region of the UK called The Fifth Wheel Company, they are based in Denbighshire,Tel:- (UK) 01745-583000 or Google:- The Fifth Wheel Company.They produce a very nice small range of products and will bespoke build.Their favoured cab is the Nissan Navaro.They may even have a low mileage demonstrator at an attractive/negotiable figure.
Regards and Best Wishes in your searching and your eventual vacation to the UK.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Great information, thank you. We do know about the UK regs vis a vis the dogs. That was our first step -- it's a six month process from here to there. Aside from selling our house here that's our longest commitment! Just to clarify, we will be entering into the UK but then traveling extensively throughout the Continent and into Eastern Europe (hopefully!)

Thanks again for your thoughts and useful links.

Kit

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
602 said:
I have read that a French driver must not drive a non-French car in France.
True, (but it's French resident, even if they have a UK license) in the same way as a UK resident can not drive a non-UK registered vehicle in the UK.
Does his French licence cover him to drive a non-French car in UK?
Yes, provided the license covers the type of vehicle driven.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Lutz said:
As soon as a vehicle is used outside its home country it no longer has to be taxed
For a vehicle to be used in an EU country other than the country of registration it must be fully legal in it's country of registration, i.e. road fund license, insurance & valid MoT.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
Lutz said:
One way of getting around the problem would be to register the caravan on the Continent, though, with temporary French or Dutch or German licence plates.
Not French, a temporary W plate is only valid for 14 days, with an extension for a further 14 days if requested.

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
602 said:
When driving in France, you must have certain things in your car ...... eg - a spare pair of spectacles, warning triangle, full set of spare bulbs and another for the caravan, hi-viz jacket for every passenger, first-aid kit, and probably a lot more.
Just to clear this up, from your list only the triangle & ONE hi-vis jacket is required in France.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As a foreign resident in Germany one can register a vehicle for up to one year on temporary plates. I would have thought that most other countries have a similar scheme to cover export home delivery vehicles, for example. Back in the 70's I bought a car in the UK and drove around the whole of Europe for a year on such plates. Whether you buy the car or temporarily import it shouldn't make a difference.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi kitriana- bet you never thought a simple question would lead to all this ? Hope you are not toally confused ? ('cause i am and I live here). I have a good ex-uk friend who lives near Toronto also a long term caravanner for whom i have just investigated long term RV hire who has decided it's just not worth the hassle and is sticking to coming over nad hiring a car. aAdmittedly they don't have dogs, but I totally understand their decision. Similarly my better half is from NY State and wants us to hire an RV and go 'out west' for 6 months but at my advanced years (free TV licence UK) the hurdles and just getting too many and too high.
Incidentally, the Bryant part does not include Peter and Pat as parents by any chance ? if so please just post a reply saying 'Yes' as i was a good friend of one of them many years ago.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts