Buying a caravan privately - do I need to worry about outstanding finance on it?

Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
I've not actually given this any thought until today - but if I were buying a used car I'd run an HPi check to make sure it has no outstanding finance etc, is this a concern with a caravan too? If the current owner had finance/HP for the caravan, could it be secured to the caravan itself, or is this unlikely?

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 15, 2021
Visit site
Ah - I've answered my own question - a finance company would tie it to the CRiS number, so running a CRiS check would show any liability. (I would delete this thread, but I can't see the option to, sorry)

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Ah - I've answered my own question - a finance company would tie it to the CRiS number, so running a CRiS check would show any liability. (I would delete this thread, but I can't see the option to, sorry)
Hi welcome to the forum wouldn't think there is any need to delete your thread as it could be informative to other people, other things to consider are is the caravan stolen, an insurance right off or harder to find out a clone, if the CRIS registration is present and registered to the address you view at
When 3 scroats in balaclavas came to nick ours a couple of months ago because they couldn't get it they took a picture of the front window (CRIS) number, we informed both police and CRIS

Reactions: Goto10
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We did a CRis check on our present caravan to make sure there was no finance on before we paid cash to the seller it just for the peace of mind

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Whilst checking for outstanding finance is of course the right hing to do, I would advocate, especially if new to caravanning, you at least take somebody knowledgeable with you, or preferably have it checked over by an engineer before you buy. There are many things that can go wrong with a caravan, and frequently do. They are not the most robust things on earth, and depending on the age and construction of the caravan, damp can be a major issue.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Future plc now own and administer this website and the magazine, among many others.
Future plc are an international digital media marketing company and this website is administered from within the US.
Forum members from all over the world are allowed to use this website and forum, we've had some interesting contributions from Canada and Australia at times.
The website uses an automatic anti-advert (spam) filter which blocks around 95% of the spam that's aimed our way, and Damian and myself usually remove those that have beaten the algorithms, with your help, thanks to your vigilance and cooperation.
I view all 'foreign looking' posts with suspicion, especially those that revive older threads.
I used to ban them on sight, but I had my knuckles rapped for banning strange foreigners before they'd actually posted an unauthorised advert, so now I have to bide my time despite my suspicions. ๐Ÿคจ
As for the US Presidential elections, it's a topic best avoided here.
Many of us regard any British prime minister with ribald cynicism and we certainly don't revere them or any UK politician.
That's not always the case in the US.
Their president is their head of state, it really wouldn't do to publicly insult their heads of state past or present, so to avoid the usual British insulting disregard that is sometimes expressed here, we leave American politics to the Americans. ๐Ÿ˜Š ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts