Buying a Caravan

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi all, never had a caravan but my sister has one and its getting me interested. I have a good job but i still dont see a way into getting a decent second hand one. i have been looking at the Eddis Crusador Storm. Love the layout and spec.

I have not even got a big enough car to tow so im not in a very good position as yet.

Father in law is thinking of selling his Kia Sorrento so i might buy that. But that in its self is gonna set me back £12000 so how that hell do i get a van.

Anyone no any soft banks with no cctv hahaha.

Come on folks tell me how the heck its all done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark, It is done by setting your sights on what you can afford. Those people, like myself, with new cars and vans started out somewhat differently, in my case with an 8 year old Cortina and a very basic Bailey with no hot water etc.

I reckon I could get myself a decent starter car and caravan today for a combined price of about

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Ill forget the eddis storm and check out some cheaper models.

Think ill leave it for this year though and check it out again come march or april 08.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Mark

it's better to start of with what you can afford, i wouldn't steam in and buy brand new first of all. Get a second hand one and see if you like it - after all caravanning doesn't suit everyone, but if you like it then in a year or so you can take the next step and buy newer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rather than put off your search until next year, I'd try the "dead" months November and December when dealers will be really keen to shift old stock and private sellers ditto.

Wait until say April, and a touch of sun, and the world and his wife will think about caravanning.

Jun 1, 2006
Visit site
Also remember that caravan manufacturers, dealers and (to a certain extent) this magazine make their living from persuading people that they really need the latest models and specs, even if they are quite happy with what they already have. We're on our third van which was the first we bought new. In all three cases, we've been very clear about what we were looking for in terms of spec and what we were not bothered about - and stuck to it while we've been surveying the market. As a result, we've always been happy with our purchases and only changed when family circumstances and finances have suggested that it was time to do so. We've also found that out previous two vans did not depreciate or 'wear' as quickly as (say) cars of similar age and that consequently we were able to keep them for longer and move on to more recent models for roughly the same cost.

Good luck!

Apr 14, 2006
Visit site
Mark, one step at a time.

We got a secondhand trailer-tent towed by a 1.4 Focus first. Tried it for a year to see if we liked it. We're both working good jobs too. In the second year we sold her Focus and bought a secondhand Citroen Piccaso, we had to add

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with what's been said here. Buy a decent second hand van first, and see if you like it. Don't be envious of people with bigger or newer vans.

We started caravanning in 1983 with a Viking van, and then had a couple of Lunar Clubmans both riddled with damp, but we managed, and we had some super holidays too. In those days many sites didn't even have electric hook ups, so you had to use the gas, and make sure that your battery was welll charged, even if it meant taking it with you in the boot of the car for the day!!

We've now got a super Elddis Avante 630, and we tow it with our ten year old Ford Scorpio. Quite adequate. You certainly don't need to spend

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
HiMark

Agree with all that's been said. It often takes living in a van before you really get to know what you like and dislike so don't overspend on your first. Spend the next few weeks going to as many dealers as you can and going in vans and see if you get a 'feel' for a certain layout etc. . If you seem to follow a pattern then look on www.whattowcar.com and see how your car matches up with a model you like the look of. Good luck and enjoy the hobby.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts