buying a first second hand van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi i have this urge to buy a touring van my motor at the moment is a landrover discovery my book says that the curb weight is 2008kg and after reading all these posting it gets all very tec so can any one advise on what i should be looking for

thanks alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can pull just about anything with a Disco bud! However, the smaller the van you can get away with, the safer you will be. Try something with a single axle to begin with and move on up to a twin if you feel the need (and have the requird bank balance)and with an 85% figure of 1706kg, most of them are ok too!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alan, with a Disco you can look at anything as, unless it is something very unique, the car will be heavier than the van. However, the heavier it gets the slower and thristier the outfit will get. My van wieghs in at 1400kg and the outfit (300TDi Disco) can exceed the legal limit (60) on a motorway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Alan, Whilst the Disco is rated to row very large trailers (up to 3500Kg), you must check that your driving licence doesnot limit you. If you passed your tesy after Jan 1997, then you are limited to a gross train weight of 3500Kg (Loaded car + loaded caravan). The Disco with a kerb weight of 2000Kg can easily be loaded with people and luggage to 2500Kg which would leave you with a maximum caravan weight of 1000Kg. Do check your permitted driving classes and weights.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
YES I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS. DON'T GO SILLY BECAUSE YOU NEED TO CONSIDER INSURANCE, STORAGE AND TOWABILITY ETC. IF I WERE IN YOUR ENVIABLE POSITION I WOULD LOOK AT SOME OF THE BAILEY RANGERS AND PAGEANTS. ALSO BEAR IN MIND THAT SOME SITES DON'T OR CAN'T TAKE HUGE VANS SO SOMETIMES IT IS BEST TO LOOK AT SINGLE AXLES.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi,Alan, I have a Lunar Solar 615 twin axle 5 berth.It has a fully loaded wieht of 1650kg,and been a twin axle it is very good to tow.Dont be put off by a twinaxle they are great to tow and when it comes to pitching up they turn much slower when your going backwards because of the two axles.The solar 615 is a big van for its weight and money.Good luck.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts