Buying a stolen/recovered caravan ?

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
What are the pitfalls of buying a stolen/recovered caravan ? Have been offered (in great condition) an ABBEY County Warwick caravan (2000)at a good price but it has previously been stolen/recovered. If CRIS registered (and flagged as stolen/recovered) is the van still insurable ? Should I steer clear or is it nothing to worry about ? We're still newbie's to the caravan game so though it better to ask first than afterwards !

Many thanks, Neil&Lucy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Neil & Lucy,

Very tempting as it is, clearly you have some misgivings about the prospect of a previously stolen/recovered caravan.

Unless I knew exactly what had happened in detail to the caravan, and any repairs that might have been necessary, I would have concerns, such as the ones you have already pointed out, but also, the sale raises some other questions.

Why is it being sold? If it has been recovered, then surely it should be back with its owners.

Who is selling it, and do they have full possession and the right to sell it?

It must be possible to find out what its CRIS status is, and also like a car you should be able to get an HPI check done.

If it is all above board, then it could be great bargain, but if you smell even a hint of rat - walk away.

Just out of interest, if you by a S/H product that is stolen or has some HP left on it. The rightful owner can repossess the product, and you will be left out of pocket. You would then have to sue the seller to get your money back, which if it is private sale may not be possible. At least with a dealership they do carry insurance against such situations.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts