Buying caravan private sale

Aug 2, 2024
Visit site
2016 caravan last serviced 2022 only used twice since according to owner
If i get a engineers report and all is ok would you purchase or pay more to use a dealership

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If i get a engineers report and all is ok would you purchase or pay more to use a dealership
Wise to have an AWS report as in a private sale you have less protection than if purchased from a dealer. Plus any pick ups they should be able to give an estimate of cost to make good. Check tyres as advice is change between 5-7 years. If it’s only been used twice in two years then tyres would be suspect in my mind.

Aug 2, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for advice
Caravan comes with the owners kit, water barrel, grey waste container and power supply cables
Will have a look at tyres,would engineers report pick that up?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for advice
Caravan comes with the owners kit, water barrel, grey waste container and power supply cables
Should do but check yourself as tyres have date of manufacture embossed on sidewall. They may have good tread depth but that’s not a good guide as caravan tyres rarely wear their tread. They may have
cracks in sidewalls or base of. treads. Given its not been used more than twice I two years that tells me tyres should be replaced.

Aug 2, 2024
Visit site
Should do but check yourself as tyres have date of manufacture embossed on sidewall. They may have good tread depth but that’s not a good guide as caravan tyres rarely wear their tread. They may have
cracks in sidewalls or base of. treads. Given its not been used more than twice I two years that tells me tyres should be replaced.
Will do thanks

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It has been 2 years since the last service so definitely time for a proper service and damp check otherwise you may be buying a heap of trouble!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for advice
I would buy it, my 2013 Coachman has been used 4 times in the last 2 years due to health and hospital and eye appointments. FSH and always dry on damp checks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I would buy it, my 2013 Coachman has been used 4 times in the last 2 years due to health and hospital and eye appointments. FSH and always dry on damp checks.
Unfortunately Hutch as well you know (or at least should know) that just becasue one particular caravan from a manufacturer has been a good one does not guarantee or necessarily mean another van from the same manufacturer will be as good. All UK manufacturers have a pretty abysmal record of consistency.

I would consider it and I would also make any offer to purchase conditional on the outcome of an independent (i.e. AWS) engineers pre purchase inspection and report being satisfactory to me.

If the seller is unhappy about you having an independent inspection carried out, ask your self why, and consider the possibility the seller knows there is or could be a problem. If they have nothing to hide then they should be ok with having it inspected.

Do proper due diligence checks for owners registration, and if there is any finance outstanding on the caravan.

These checks are worth the money they cost, becasue with a private sale you have very little come back if anything isn't right.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......don't buy a caravan privately without doing a CRIS check.
A conscientious owner will have it registered and CRIS can tell you if the caravan has outstanding finance on it and other information.
I would walk away if the seller cannot produce a CRIS registration document and a invoice/ bill of sale as proof of their purchase.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Fully echo everything said .
I’d like to see the full FSH
An AWS engineer should check all the equipment works correctly.
Used only twice over two years can cause things to seize up. Gas jets can become blocked. How fit is the battery for example? Has the handbrake been left on whilst not in use?
What make and model is it?
Is the price attractive compared to a Dealer?

Aug 2, 2024
Visit site
Fully echo everything said .
I’d like to see the full FSH
An AWS engineer should check all the equipment works correctly.
Used only twice over two years can cause things to seize up. Gas jets can become blocked. How fit is the battery for example? Has the handbrake been left on whilst not in use?
What make and model is it?
Is the price attractive compared to a Dealer?
It’s a 2015 coachman 575/4 vip and asking £14995

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If he brought it from new has the service book been stamped up including damp checks and all the paperwork up to date . if thinking of buying i would take someone like a AWS engineer to check it. The price looks very reasonable

Aug 2, 2024
Visit site
Didn’t proceed any further with the private sale
Service history was very intermittent so walked away
Going to view another private sale tomorrow which sounds really good
It’s a 2017 Sterling Elite 565 one owner from new and a full service history, also a Cris plus membership
Wish me luck

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s a 2017 Sterling Elite 565 one owner from new and a full service history, also a Cris plus membership
Wish me luck
Thats a Swift brand so make sure the service history has been uploaded to Swift and you see all invoices. Swift don’t accept stamps in the service book.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can i check myself if it has been uploaded
Yes that’s what I did by phoning Swift Customer Services. They told me the service history was incomplete. Fortunately the service book had been stamped by three different dealers so I had to contact each one. There was a reluctance to provide copies of the service invoices, citing GDPR. But with the previous owners permission and suitable redactions I obtained the invoices which I emailed to Swift. They then confirmed that the warranty was transferred to me. Fortunate as the rear panel had developed cracks and it was replaced under warranty.

I don’t know where you stand wrt warranty on a 2017 caravan.

Aug 2, 2024
Visit site
Yes that’s what I did by phoning Swift Customer Services. They told me the service history was incomplete. Fortunately the service book had been stamped by three different dealers so I had to contact each one. There was a reluctance to provide copies of the service invoices, citing GDPR. But with the previous owners permission and suitable redactions I obtained the invoices which I emailed to Swift. They then confirmed that the warranty was transferred to me. Fortunate as the rear panel had developed cracks and it was replaced under warranty.

thanks for info but to be honest i don’t really expect any swift warranty on this age of van
It seems well looked after and nothing seems to have been scrimped on
New tyre last year and he has put top brands on and not cheap crap

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

As it is over 6 years old the warranty cannot be transferred.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Wish me luck
We brought a Abbey that was one owner with full service history it was in stunning condition check everything inside and out on the caravan if it what you want go for it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts