Buying for the 1st time ?

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
We are looking to buy a new caravan this year forthe first time, we are currently looking at the Bailey Pageant (bratagne) or the Elddis Avante 556 as we are two adults with two children.

Can you please offer any advice on either model and secondly if we were to purchase at the show in Feb what sort of discount do you normally get at the show ?

Any help appreciated.

G

Cannot really comment on your particular choice of van, as I don't really know it.

Howver, buying at a show has pluses and minuses. Yes, you may get a discount, or more likely some extra 'goodies' thrown in. For instance, I received a full awning as a bonus, and 'free' delivery charge worth

Jan 22, 2006
Visit site
Cannot really comment on your particular choice of van, as I don't really know it.

Howver, buying at a show has pluses and minuses. Yes, you may get a discount, or more likely some extra 'goodies' thrown in. For instance, I received a full awning as a bonus, and 'free' delivery charge worth

Oct 13, 2005
Visit site
Paul

havent bought new but using the method scoth lad suggests we got an excellent deal on a second hand van last October. Basically I know from my time in the motor trade, come the end of October people ar starting to focus on christmas and sales of things like vans and cars dips so the dealers are faced with having the van on the forecourt all winter and effectively being a year old when people start buying again in the new year. The alternative for them is to take less money for it and have that money in the bank collecting interest until next year when they can buy another van for the forecourt. We found when looking around at the start of the season the vans were very close together on the forecourts, by October the forecourt still looked full but there was a lot more space around each van as the dealer lowered his stock for winter.

G

Paul,

As Richard mentions anytime after the end of August is usually when dealers start to look at the forecourts and get 'itchy'. We traded ours in last Septemmber only from the 'mistake' of taking the old van in for its annnual service. When we mentioned that we would be looking for a newer van at some stage, the salesman became very interested and virtually said 'tell me what you want, and we will do it'. Ended up trading in, and up, for 4 grand. Ok, my new van had been sitting on the forecourt for a few months but it was brandnew and fully guaranteed. When I 'totted' up i had receievd a discount on the retail price fo some 3-4 grand. I also saved on the cost of the service on the old van, wow.

The other way to get a 'bargain' is to wait until a manufacturer brings out a new model. The 'old' models will then be offered at considerable discount, even though they are still unused. Although some manufacturers are getting round that by only upgrading slightly from year to year.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

another point to remember....the dealer who you buy from is the one you have to go back to for servicing,so try and get what you want from the nearest dealer to where you live,otherwise you can have a very long journey to make.

happy caravanning.

G

I don't know if I would agree with Maureen 100%. Yes, dealers will try to get you to return to them for servicing, and hopefully sell you an upgrade van as well. However, many of the mnaufacturers will keep the warranty valid as long as the van is serviced at any approved dealer, and there may be many in any particular manufacturer's chain. After all your Contract of Sale is with the dealer, but your Warranty is with the manufacturer. It is always wise to check them out. Also somw dealers are sub-dealers of other dealers, in my case the main dealer has about 10 subsidiaries around the country, and any one can do the work without infringement.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know what Maureen is talking about and I dare say 90% of the people do on this forum. In the present climate it's not a case of the dealer wanting your servicing custom, they take that as read, what the don't want is custom from elsewhere. They have limited resources to service caravans so prefer to look after their own customers first. Paul, you may find that you get a bargain at the show, but you may have to return to that dealership to get your van serviced and for any warranty claims. I could have saved myself nearly

G

Things are a-changing albeit slowly in the market place. Visited the SECC show today and one of the stands was different in that the manufacturer was the one who had the stand with the dealers all participating on that stand, so you could buy/service the van from the local dealer appropriate to your address.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts