Buying gas in europe

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I'm thinking of touring europe for 6 months, not sure how I would go about buying gas for the caravan while I'm away, I've been told you can't get calor gas in europe.

I have looked at the possibility of converting to Gaslow but this seems to be an expensive alternative, or using camping gaz but the bottles are small compared to calor gas? does anyone know how long the smaller bottles last?

Thanks Nick

G

The majority of sites in Europe have electrical hookups, although the amperage could be as low as 4 amps. However, these will always run the fridge and lights so the only gas you use is for cooking. What you do in that repect is your business but we have found that 1 Calor 7kg butane cylinder and a 907 Camping Gaz cylinder will cover over 120 days abroad. Plus the Camping Gaz is easily replaceable at supermarkets and is great for BBq's.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Camping Gaz in France is expensive but moderatley less so in Spain. Difficult to buy local cylinders in Spain but less so in France - supermarkets or garages.

One tip is to buy small electric ovens at e.g. Lidls - UK price about

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
...Calor now let you obtain a second cylinder for the cost of the gas plus 'a refundable in full' deposit when you take it back empty.

This may help if you want to take two cylinders and only have one.

...Calor now let you obtain a second cylinder for the cost of the gas plus 'a refundable in full' deposit when you take it back empty.

http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/caravan_gas/caravan_gas_abroad.htm

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Nicholas,

LPG is sold be weight. So if you know how long your normal Calor bottle lasts you should be able guestimate how long any other size will last. You cant be dead accurate because your usage may well change because of weather conditions

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We were in France Sept/Oct/Nov, almost 3 months, and took 2 CalorLites 6kg propane and one 907 Camping Gaz. Also the Lidl oven and a 2 ring electric hob.

We used just over one Calor bottle, and a tiny bit of the Camping Gaz.

I think the only country where you cannot exchange the 907 is Norway.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts