C&CC Membership survey

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Recently received - by e mail - a survey questionnaire which seems to be about a possible new structuring of site fees. It arrived via the Club but from an outside contractor (?).
Please will someone tell me that I'm not the only one who found the survey too complicated and down-right incomprehensible to complete? I consider myself of normal/average intelligence, but this beats me.
This might be a very important survey for the future of Club site pricing - or is someone pulling an early April Fools joke on me??
Incidently, I wonder how much of our money the Club is spending on this survey?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Totally agree, very confusing. If the C&CC used the funds this survey will have cost to reduce the cost of a pitch per night, the survey would not have been necessary. E-mail winging on its way to C&CC HQ to this effect.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
what is worrying is that I suspect many members will simply abandon the survey as I did. But it seemed to be suggesting major changes in site pricing policies which could be of enormous interest to members. As far as i could make out - before it defeated me - they are looking at 'dynamic pricing' - the earlier you book, the cheaper it is. Pay up front and £7 a night was mentioned!! But I didn't make it to the point where I could ask the obvious question - what happens if you cancel? Do you lose your money for instance? Camping and Caravan Club site pricing 'a la Ryanair'. Whatever next!

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Neither have I. Maybe this is a trial run to test the questionairre and or maybe they're just taking a small sample. An invitation to an on-line questionairre in the mag would perhaps widen the net.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Sorry - foolishly deleted all traces! I was so frustrated with it! But, I see 'Clubman' received the survey (with the same resulting confusion) so perhaps he can help?
I am still awaiting a reply from the C&CC to my queries about it - suspect they will simply ignore me! In essence, and remember that it was very confusing indeed, the survey was an effort to see how members would react to dynamic pricing. That is, would we be interested in much cheaper site fees if we booked earlier and/or for longer periods?
Moderators Edit:
Potentially damaging speculation has been deleted from this post

Parksy (Moderator)

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Hello, Clubman.
did you get a reply to your email on this subject? I've sent 2 e mails and heard nothing other than an acknowledgment. So much for the Club's claim to respond in 5 days! Is the Club hoping that the issue will go away if they do nothing? I'm all for a fresh look at the way Club sites are priced. But for those wishing to have a simple no frills stay, there could be dramatic reductions. Tantalising possibilities, but I wish the Club would come clean and tell us what's happening.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
oldagetraveller said:
what is worrying is that I suspect many members will simply abandon the survey as I did. But it seemed to be suggesting major changes in site pricing policies which could be of enormous interest to members. As far as i could make out - before it defeated me - they are looking at 'dynamic pricing' - the earlier you book, the cheaper it is. Pay up front and £7 a night was mentioned!! But I didn't make it to the point where I could ask the obvious question - what happens if you cancel? Do you lose your money for instance? Camping and Caravan Club site pricing 'a la Ryanair'. Whatever next!
When we were C & CC members a few years back, we were forced to cancel due to illnesss and they were given about three weeks notice. We were told the deposit would be held until we booked another site. As it happened our membership expired and due to a few bad incidents with little hitler wardens we decided against renewing. We lost our deposit. According to C & CC you will never get a deposit refunded.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless the terms and conditions specifically allow for the refund of deposits, I have to say that I am suprised that so many people think if you cancel a booking, the deposit should be refunded.

Traditionally a deposit is a an affirmation that you intend to complete the contract and so are prepared to put up a surety.

At this point the site operator has every right to expect you to arrive and stay for the agreed period, which means they are expecting to generate income from the let. They also take that space off the market which is their side of the bargain.

If you then later decide to cancel, then you are breaking that contract, and the deposit is means by which the injured party can offset some of the costs associated with taking your booking in the first place and subsequently trying to re-let.

This process deters people from booking loads of sites, as there is a financial implication if they then decide to change or cancel.

Even in the event of being ill or unable to take up the site, why should the site refund, its not their fault you are unwell, To offset this situation perhaps you should take out holiday booking insurance, and recover your deposit/holiday costs from the policy.

I recall that when booking a broads boat holiday, the booking included an insurance premium, which also covered the case of breaking down on the journey to the boatyard and missing the embarkation time or day, so why not for booking caravan sites etc.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Prof John L said:
I recall that when booking a broads boat holiday, the booking included an insurance premium, which also covered the case of breaking down on the journey to the boatyard and missing the embarkation time or day, so why not for booking caravan sites etc.

Hi Proff, we recently booked and just returned from a Canal holiday and when booked back in Feb this year we were given the option of holiday insurance premium covering what you have mentioned in your post above. We did'nt take out the option.
Maybe thats the way forward with caravanning-----Optional premiums.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
We have not received anything about a survey either. We are members of both the main clubs, mainly because we do between 10 and 20 weekends away every year. I prefer the 2 C's to 3 C's, mainly because the CC don't accept tents so the shower blocks are usually a lot cleaner, but I have also been through the "lost deposit" scenario when we had heavy snow 2 years back which did put me off the C&CC a little. TBH though, our favourites are all private sites and not affiliated with either club.
As for dynamic pricing, I'm all for that since we normally book at least 6 months in advance.
Dom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, just back from a couple of weeks in the Dales and have just seen your "post". Todate I have not heard a peep out of the C&CC about my e-mail response to their survey. Not surprised I'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts