Cable extension

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
We are going to France this summer and one campsite has told us we need a 30m long hook-up cable. Mine, sadly, is 25m but I have a spare cable. Is it safe / possible to simply join them together to make it longer or would i need to invest in a 30m cable?

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
The connection with the correct plugs will be fine. If possible tie the connectors to a fence or post so that there's no danger of them laying in water.
My cable is also 25mm but during the summer I stayed on a CL where there was only one power point. The owner provided two extra cables for the vans furthest away from the supply. I used two 25mm cables and it was fine.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I/we have used joined cables many times over the years with no problems.. But as mentioned earlier don't allow the 'joint' to lay where - (a) It could lay in a puddle, or (b) where the joint (plugs) can be run over by vehicles. We slide a waterproof sleeve on ours and tape it to the cable either side of the joint to waterproof it.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have had to do it in France without problem despite some heavy rain. I agree though that trying to get the joint of the ground is sensible just in case.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a plastic box with a clip on lid, a small cut to accept the cable in and out, it sits on the ground and will cope with three inches of water, before the bang. Nathan remember to also take a two pin to "Normal" plug and also a phase change adaptor.
Hutch.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I have a plastic box with a clip on lid, a small cut to accept the cable in and out, it sits on the ground and will cope with three inches of water, before the bang. Nathan remember to also take a two pin to "Normal" plug and also a phase change adaptor.
Hutch.

You can purchase "garden" electrical connection boxes often designed for a 4 way 13A socket strip for multiple Christmas garden lights. The box seals to something like IP54 and has conforming seals for the cable entries. These would be big enough to house a 16A CEE form connector.

for example Google "Outdoor-Weatherproof-Power-Box-Kit"

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Jaydug said:
The connection with the correct plugs will be fine. If possible tie the connectors to a fence or post so that there's no danger of them laying in water.
My cable is also 25mm but during the summer I stayed on a CL where there was only one power point. The owner provided two extra cables for the vans furthest away from the supply. I used two 25mm cables and it was fine.

25mm cable? Wow, you won't get much voltage drop with that!

I think you mean 25m? The cable will be 2.5mm cross sectional area.

;)

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Several years ago I bought a 'torpedo' cover advertised for protecting the connection of 2 hookup cables. It was hinged in two halves and leaked like a sieve during rain as there were no proper rubber seals. I complained to the distributor re the danger of electrocution and they removed it from their catalogue. It does help to complain sometimes. ;)

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Good advice from all regarding waterproofing, but don't expect the locals to do the same. Found the fridge not working in the past due to someone else's connection being full of water and the site box tripped.

Don't know from your post count if you are new to caravanning, but if its your first time in France, be aware that reverse polarity is a real possibility. There are diverse opinions about this, but we carry an adaptor to deal with this possibility. Some sites don't have the usual EHU connector so a 2 pin adaptor is advisable too

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I bought a lovely multi tool that has 4 of the most common used lock drivers Square, large and small , triangular and half round with a flat, to get into locked CB trip boxes, failing that a GS screwdriver and long nosed pliers.
But check as to why the CB is tripping first.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
chrisn7 said:
Don't know from your post count if you are new to caravanning, but if its your first time in France, be aware that reverse polarity is a real possibility. There are diverse opinions about this, but we carry an adaptor to deal with this possibility. Some sites don't have the usual EHU connector so a 2 pin adaptor is advisable too

All modern UK caravans are designed with all fixed internal wiring and appliances either being double insulated or double pole switching. So the caravan itself is equally safe with correct or incorrect polarity supplies. Its the appliances we want to plug into the caravan that might not be safety tolerant of incorrect polarity, which is why it is still necessary to check the polarity of the incoming supply.

Some caravans have a supply polarity indicator built into the mains input system, otherwise you can buy a simple plug in device from for a few pounds that will indicate a range of faults.

Having a polarity crossover EHU link clearly marked is also only going to cost a few pounds, but what price safety?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts