Cadac- Which regulator, which gas?

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
Hi all.

I've just purchased a Cadac and now need a regulator, hose and of course gas. Is there any particular sized regulator I should use? Also which is the best gas to use? I understand the freezing issues with butane which is why my caravan runs on propane. However, does butane have any advantages on an outdoor appliance or would you say propane again.

I do have instructions with the unit which I haven't yet read but I still also like recommendations.

Thanks, Dan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I should add that Cadac have made a variety of different BBQ's, and some are designed to fit directly to a Camping Gaz bottle with no regulator, whilst others will need a regulated supply.

You must also follow the manufactures instructions with regard to the type of gas. It will state in its instructions what gasses can be used and what(if any) regulator output pressure is required.

Do not assume that Propane is not always interchangeable with Butane

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I should add that Cadac have made a variety of different BBQ's, and some are designed to fit directly to a Camping Gaz bottle with no regulator, whilst others will need a regulated supply.

You must also follow the manufactures instructions with regard to the type of gas. It will state in its instructions what gasses can be used and what(if any) regulator output pressure is required.

Do not assume that Propane is not always interchangeable with Butane
Last line should read:

Do not assume that Propane is always interchangeable with Butane

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a Cadac, as long as it is a low pressure model, then you can use either butane or propane, just get the appropriate regulator.
Hello again William,

Whilst you advice may indeed be correct, the fact that Cadac have manufactured may different typs of BBQ for different types of gas, may mean that your advice is incorrect for the model that Dan has.

It is also generally true that an appliance that runs of butane LPG may also run on Propane LPG, BUT, it must only be used on propane or vice-versa if the manufacture has stated it on the data plate.

It is potentially dangerous and definitely illegal to use an appliance on a gas supply for which it has not been type approved.

Always follow the manufacturers instructions.

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi All

We just use ours plugged into the gas outlet on side of van(if you have got one of course).That way you don't need a regulator.Our instructions say it will work on either Butane or Propane.I personally prefer propane,seems to burn with a better flame and is more controllable.

Sep 8, 2006
Visit site
The Cadac in question is in fact actually wrapped up as a xmas gift. However I do know it's an Eazi-chef. I'll certainly study it more after xmas. Many Thanks, Dan.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Hello again William,

Whilst you advice may indeed be correct, the fact that Cadac have manufactured may different typs of BBQ for different types of gas, may mean that your advice is incorrect for the model that Dan has.

It is also generally true that an appliance that runs of butane LPG may also run on Propane LPG, BUT, it must only be used on propane or vice-versa if the manufacture has stated it on the data plate.

It is potentially dangerous and definitely illegal to use an appliance on a gas supply for which it has not been type approved.

Always follow the manufacturers instructions.
Correct, but I have seen many Cadac's over the years (I used to live in S. Africa) and there are as far as gas is concerned two models, a high pressure one which uses small camping gas cylinders without a regulator or a low pressure system that just like the caravan heater and cooker, will work on either butane or propane as long as the appropriate regulator is fitted. Once the gas has passed through the appropriate regulator as far as something like a BBQ is concerned there is really very little difference. But yes with anything gas or electrical it is best to follow the manufacturers instructions.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
My Cadac is an Easy Chef, but that BBQ is available either as a High pressure model that uses Camping Gaz or a low pressure model which uses eithe Butane or Propane (calor) using a regulator.

Never liked the idea of these gas outlets on the caravan, unless you have a very long gas hose, that means cooking a little too close to the caravan for my liking.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts