Cadac won't stay alight

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi. We have a cadac carri chef. Set it up as usual this week. It lit and stayed alight for about a minute and a half without the ignitor depressed and then went out with a pop. It wasn't at all windy so it wasn't being blown out by the wind. It is at least 8 years old and has had a fair bit of use and towing around. We don't do technical and we certainly don't mess with gas. So my questions are:
Is there something obvious that we are missing that does not involve technical repair.
Is it worth getting it repaired or should we just retire it to the recyclers.
Thanks in advance
mel

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Ours did the same it was the burner jet blocked,cleaned it out and it was fine ,ours is in the van but if its not obvious when you look at it how to access the jet let me know and I'll get ours and have a look.iirc it was just remove 3 screws and the complete assembly came out and then unscrew the jet and blow it out.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
DeliDave_ said:
Ours did the same it was the burner jet blocked,cleaned it out and it was fine ,ours is in the van but if its not obvious when you look at it how to access the jet let me know and I'll get ours and have a look.iirc it was just remove 3 screws and the complete assembly came out and then unscrew the jet and blow it out.

Thanks Dave. I will investigate.
mel

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
How many screws did they undo in that video. :woohoo: Thank you DD. I am sure we could take it apart like that. Whether we could get it back together is another matter. :p |It does ignight no problem so wouldn't have to disembowel that bit, It also burns for at least a minute all around the flame spreader so muck in the jet seems unlikely but we will give it a go.
mel

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Just a thought, when was the last time you changed the flexible gas pipe that feeds the Cadac from the van?
Wonder if it's that causing the problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........but it is a magic paper clip ;)

One thrust though the jet with the clip and any debris completely disappears.
Not a thought given that the debris has just been dislodged ready to block the jet again after the first minute of use.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Thank you all for your help, video and comment. Took the thing apart. It is much more low tech than I imagined. Got a new gas hose as well and some new jubilee clips. Didn't take the ignighter apart aside from taking it off the flame spreader and putting it back in the same place. Cleaned and poked about as per instruction. Put it all back together and now the ignighter doesn;'t work (and we didn't do much to that) and we can't get a seal on the gas hose to the inlet when tested with soapy water. :pinch: :(
This is why we don't do DIY .
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
You may have dislodged the ignitor wire from the spark plug end or else you have pinched it causing a short circuit.
Will it light with a match? Actually DO NOT try. As the hose is leaking there could be trouble.
A competent caravan engineer will fix it for you or if you can wait bring it to the Woosiefest and between us and Sproket's tools we can fix it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts