Caen ferry port

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
We are arriving in Caen at 10pm in August and do not wish to drive through the night. We have heard some horror stories about staying on the ports and would like some advice. Is the port safe?

Thanks

Jen

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I am sure there is not much room at Ouistreham for overnight parking - in what direction will you be heading?

We have done the same sailing a few years running and head down to the Loire reagion. We leave the ferry port and head to Chateau Martragny which is on the N13 between Caen ring road and Bayeaux. It is only about 10 mins off the ring road so not far to go out of your way. It has a very long drive leading to the Chateau and there are pitches on either side of the drive. You can just pull on and plug into electric and then pay the following morning before you leave. It will be dark but just have your torches ready. If you wish there is enough room on the pitches to leave your caravan hitched up.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you are taking the ferry from Portsmouth, which is due in at 2130. I am taking that ferry at the end of May and intend dropping into Les Pommiers (very close to the Port). I have done this before and if my memory serves me, it is open until 2300 and they expect to take custom from the late ferry. It is not the best site in the area but it is more than adequate, with easy access, large pitches, wide site roads and easy to find in the dark. It is a good night halt. Try and pitch down near the canal where it is quiet.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
As I've said on previous posts, we have parked up overnight at the ferry port at Ouistreham for several years now.There are usually several others waiting for the morning ferry to Portsmouth. We haven't stayed there upon arrival by ferry at night but intend to do so in June. I can't see any difference really to incoming or outgoing, so will give it a try.If unable to park up for any reason it won't be far to Les Pommiers.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I am sure there is not much room at Ouistreham for overnight parking - in what direction will you be heading?

We have done the same sailing a few years running and head down to the Loire reagion. We leave the ferry port and head to Chateau Martragny which is on the N13 between Caen ring road and Bayeaux. It is only about 10 mins off the ring road so not far to go out of your way. It has a very long drive leading to the Chateau and there are pitches on either side of the drive. You can just pull on and plug into electric and then pay the following morning before you leave. It will be dark but just have your torches ready. If you wish there is enough room on the pitches to leave your caravan hitched up.
Thank you for your response it is really helpful. We are going down to the Dordogne so we will check out what route this is on. The site sounds perfect for waht we need.

Thanks again

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
We always park on the port at Caen, there is always plenty of room inside the port near the trailers. Security tour round all night and dont seem to mind. On returning home we park in the lines for the morning ferry. If you decide to do this dont get near the front of the lines because traffic is coming in and out all night and the gate squeaks and rattles like hell. J.Lo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts