Calais diesel

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I haven't used the Dover-Calais crossing for many years, but have just taken advantage of the DFDS offer. Can anyone refresh my memory as to a caravan-friendly petrol station near the ferry terminal?
Thanks in advance.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The Auchan supermarket at Grand Synthe - nearest and cheapest. Google 'Auchan Grand Synthe' and a map will come up, showing just how near it is to the ferry (use the yellow road half way between the port and the autoroute).

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
If you are travelling East from the port to Belgium, Holland or Germany there is a good petrol station in Belgium, which is much cheaper than France. It really depends where you are travelling to if into France then Vals suggestion would be better for you.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks for those prompt replies. We will be travelling towards Rouen on a Sunday so I'm wondering if the Grande Synthe is really convenient as it appears to be near Dunkirk. Any other suggestions?

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
There's a Total station just off the exit road from the ferry. It's the last exit before you join the A16 after going around the sweeping right hand bend (Google "Calais fuel stations" and it's marked D). It's few years since I last used it as we tend to go via Dunkirk these days and it has all been redeveloped so I don't know what it's like now. Google Maps Streetview show it as a building site but the pictures were taken in 2008 so I imagine that it should be OK now. Others might have more recent experience. It is primarily a truck stop so is almost always open. Wasn't as cheap as supermarket fuel but used to be better than motorway prices.

John M

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't notice that you were going to Calais, either. We generally use Dunkerque, and I just 'went for it'. Grand Synthe wouldn't be convenient, at all, for a Calais crossing, but the suggestion in the previous post sounds good. I think the cheapest fuel we've seen going that way is in the supermarkets around Boulogne, but we haven't filled up there. Don't try the first 'Aire' near Boulogne, as it's amongst the most expensive we've seen!
You could use the French Government website http://www.prix-carburants.gouv.fr/index.php?module=dbgestion&action=fsearch to find fuel stations and prices, and a map - it isn't hard to follow even if your French is limited.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
…..the Total Station is at Junction 3 of the Calais port exit road and is a Truck stop as has been said.
There are pumps for private vehicles and there is plenty of room at these for the biggest outfits.
You need the 3rd exit off the roundabout at the end of the slip road and the entrance is on your right.

Rue Costes et Bellonte Calais, France
Sat Nav Co-ords 50.955183 1.910334

I personally use Auchan Calais which is the cheapest in the area, has 24/7 opening and accepts UK cards and there is plenty of room for any outfit.
Avenue Roger Salengro, Calais, France
Sat Nav Co-ords 50.94257 1.809998

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts