CALAIS FUEL

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
There's a 'Station Service' between Calais and Boulogne on the Autoroute.
Thanks, but I was hoping for a Hypermarket or similar in Calais before heading out. Is there a Carrefour on the route out of Calais port or near by.

Thanks wayne

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You'll find the cheapest fuel around Calais is at the Auchan hypermarket on Avenue Roger Salengro. (Check this website for details: http://www.zagaz.com/prix-carburant.php?id_div=35087). You can use the same website to find the lowest priced fuel in any location in France, and it's generally fairly up to date. If you 'Google' for 'Hypermarche, Calais' it shows you the locations of all the hypermarkets on a map (some don't sell fuel). You can zoom in on the map and find your route to the hypermarket from the port (basically follow the 'Centre Ville' signs just as you get out of the port.

You may find it difficult to get into the fuel stations in hypermarkets if you are towing - some of them have very narrow exits, with chicanes, which are impossible to wiggle through with a caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Take the motorway as you come off the ferry and exit at junction 3, marked Calais centre. Go right round the roundabout and under the motorway. Take the third exit

and within 200 yards is an Elf station. (Undergoing refurbishment at the moment. If you arrive between 18.00 and 07.00, you'll need to deposit your passport with the cashiers before filling.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
This Elf station is one of the most expensive in the Calais area - and I understood that Wayne was asking for hypermarkets because he wanted cheap fuel. Unleaded petrol here (at this week's price) is 1.48 euros, compared to 1.22 at Auchan. 26 centimres per litre is quite a price difference, especially if you are filling an almost empty tank. However, at these prices (and given the reduction in prices in England) it would make sense to fill up before you leave Dover!

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
This Elf station is one of the most expensive in the Calais area - and I understood that Wayne was asking for hypermarkets because he wanted cheap fuel. Unleaded petrol here (at this week's price) is 1.48 euros, compared to 1.22 at Auchan. 26 centimres per litre is quite a price difference, especially if you are filling an almost empty tank. However, at these prices (and given the reduction in prices in England) it would make sense to fill up before you leave Dover!
Diesel is 20p/ litre cheaper at Auchan Calais than it is in Dover at this time.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I understood Wayne to say he was coming off the ferry in the evening of Christmas Eve. I wouldn't want to start looking for hypermarkets then. Regarding the Elf station at Marcel Doret, when at the end of August Carrefour was selling diesel at 1.289 per litre, the Elf was at 1.32. Not too much of a premium to pay considering the closeness to the motorway.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I am making the assumption that the van will be on the hook if so many Hypermarkets are not possible to get into with a van on due to either height barriers or very tight turn that you will not get around with the van on the back.

G

The Elf station is open 24hour/365 as you leave from the port.

Access is easy as it is large truck stop. Being just off the dual carriageway you only have a short detour of a about 400 metres and are back at cruising speed rather than lurching around the bumpy streets of Calais and stop starting at lights and roundabouts. Hypermarket detour is likely to save you very little!

But at Christmas you are only likely to find Autoroute stations open in most areas.

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If you leave the ferry terminal straight onto the motorway link, after a mile or so it does a near 90deg right and heads south along the east side of Calais. If you leave at the first exit (possibly signed to the University)and turn right towards the small wind turbine you will come to the 'other' Carrefour in Calais which has a petrol station (and if you want a coffee/loo there is also a built-in McD's.) It is usually a price match for Auchan etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts