Calais to Venice Best Route??

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, As we are going to Venice in late March and having considered the route options, I am still not convinced as to the best route to take. Via Switzer'd it looks like motorways all the way = quicker travelling time but extra costs for tolls etc.Via Germany = a longer travelling time, presumably meaning extra fuel costs but without delays at the tunnels - or have I got it all wrong? As we have a fairly big caravan (Bailey Series 5 Provence), I am also a little concerened whether either route might provide narrow stretches of road or passes to negotiate. Those of you who have 'been there', 'done that' and 'bought the tee shirt' as it were, if you could take the time to share your experiences and comments, it would be very highly valued - particularly in assisting me to make an informed and educated choice.

My sincere regards in anticipation........Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have tried many different routes, mainly for variety reasons, but for the last few trips we have chosen the German route. There is very little difference in the mileage (50 to 70 miles)and when this is spread over the three days we take, it is of no concequence. The German route tends to be cheaper for us as the motorways are free to Austria and we call in at Luxembourg to fill up with 'cheap' fuel. The Austrian vingette or motorway charge is about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Barry........many thanks for your very informative reply......it is a great help. Will plan the route as suggested, once again thanks a mill'.

Hope ypu and yours have a great Christmas and a happy and safe 2005. ......Regards.Pete

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi pete;

Just to say that we had a very successful trip to Venice last year, towing a large twin axle van. No problems at all. We went via France and Switzerland - the french tolls are not too onerous, and I prefer driving in France to Germany, as the traffic is generally lighter, the roads are better maintained and the journey a little more relaxed. We do normally enter Switzerland via the short stretch of German motorway to transit Basel (easy route), we then stopped on this trip for a couple of nights at Lucerne, beautiful city (great site near the transport museum); we then moved south via the St Gotthard route (motorway/ tunnel - no problems for the van) and stopped for a few days on the shore of Lake Lugano in southern Switzerland, and enjoyed the area there (Lugano worth a visit). From there we drove into Italy and on to Venice - easy day on the motorway (heavy traffic near Milan though!). For a stay at Venice I highly recommend Camping Fusina (they have a website), which is on the shore of the lagoon south of the city - you can get a waterside pitch and look straight across at St Marks etc, and best of all the vaporetto (water bus) service calls at a stop just outside the site gate and takes you direct to the city centre. You won't need to move your car and you can get a travelcard type ticket to hop to and fro and really enjoy the place. Venice is as beautiful as you would ever hope - and I think the way to arrive is via boat into the true heart of the old city. Be aware that from some sites to the north of Venice you will actually need to get a bus or a train to the 'inland' side of the city (Piazza Roma or St Lucia stn), which is not the best part, and is a long walk to St Marks/Rialto areas. We have also towed into Italy via Geneva and Chamonix valley and then using the Mont Blanc Tunnel, this is also an excellent route, all motorways, and very suitable for a large 'van. The Swiss vignettes aren't cheap, but if you consider the journey as part of the holiday then Switzerland is a good option and the roads are excellent. At the end of the day it's all down to personal choice - Enjoy your travels!

Richard

TRENDING THREADS