Calling all 2005-present Lunar Clubman owners! - WATER INGRESS!

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi there,

I have been the unfortunate owner of water ingress in my 2005 Clubman 475-CK. I have a what is now a large damp patch on the washroom ceiling above the sink. I initially thought the water was coming in from the join on the roof where the rear panel joins. However, after having this 'professionally' sealed it is still leaking. However I beleive I have now found the cause of the issue and I strong advise all owners of Clubmans 2005 to present to check their HIGH LEVEL REAR BRAKE LIGHT!

I unscrewed mine a few weeks back and found no mastic what so ever around the light. What is happening is the water is running behind the light and into the hole where the supply cable goes through. This hole is far far bigger than the cable and there is no watertight grommit or mastic present at all, just a crappy rubber shroud protecting the cable.

This cable goes into the polystyrene sandwich in the roof and the cable runs in a trough. The water is running into this trough and as the polystyrene is water proof, the water is running along it like a stream! It then comes out from the light in the washrooms unit and is staining the roof lining. No I have to also replace the whole roof lining too - not a happy bunny for a caravan thats just 4 years old and cost £16k

It's now in for repair to be sealed up there too and I frankly find this yet another disgraceful and shoddy workmanship in the caravan industry. I'm under no illusion that Lunar Caravans are the only damp caravans out there as the whole industry is rubbish:(.....except for one of course who actually seems to be able to move forward!

I have merely put this on here to warn other users of my issue as this brake light should be sealed by Lunar and isn't. Check your's before you suffer the same experience as me!

G

Sorry to hear of your problems. However, have you approached the manufacturer as the van is probably still under warranty for damp. This usually lasts 5 years. If nothing else as you can clearly show it was negligence on their part, you may be able to recover some of the cost from them.

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi there Scotch Lad,

Thanks for your sympathy!

Unfortunatly for me (I already investigated this) the caravan only has a pathetic 3 year water ingress warrenty. I beleive this has now changed since 2006/2007 but mines 2005!

I had it serviced for the first 3 years to keep it under the warranty but I haven't had it serviced since 2007 so I really don't stand any chance in , especially as I know how the caravan industry works!

It's not so much even the cost of getting it fixed that cheeses me off, it's more that the ceiling is now stained and makes the caravan highly undesireable to sell on.

I'm hoping to get it fixed, but the replacement ceiling lining won't ever match as Lunar don't have it anymore (yet another of my many many grumbles with the caravan industry).

Since owning the 'van from new I have had nothing but amateurs pulling what was originally a lovely van and it never going back to how it should be. Needless to say it's left me rather upset and unhappy but hopefully Bailey may change things around - it needs to!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Scotch Lad,

Thanks for your sympathy!

Unfortunatly for me (I already investigated this) the caravan only has a pathetic 3 year water ingress warrenty. I beleive this has now changed since 2006/2007 but mines 2005!

I had it serviced for the first 3 years to keep it under the warranty but I haven't had it serviced since 2007 so I really don't stand any chance in , especially as I know how the caravan industry works!

It's not so much even the cost of getting it fixed that cheeses me off, it's more that the ceiling is now stained and makes the caravan highly undesireable to sell on.

I'm hoping to get it fixed, but the replacement ceiling lining won't ever match as Lunar don't have it anymore (yet another of my many many grumbles with the caravan industry).

Since owning the 'van from new I have had nothing but amateurs pulling what was originally a lovely van and it never going back to how it should be. Needless to say it's left me rather upset and unhappy but hopefully Bailey may change things around - it needs to!
What has Bailey got to do with Lunar?

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Toby, Your not alone!

My Lunar Quasar 525 Purchased new in 2005 has damp. I have had it serviced every year, with Lunar agents since new, the last being in sept 2009. The damp reports every year have been fine and I always make a point of discussing the damp readings with the service mgmr. The damp is in the rear locker and I have had a quote from my lunar agent for

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
What has Bailey got to do with Lunar?
Because Baily are the only manufacturer to move the industry along. They have so much to loose if it doesn't work, but clearly they have recognised that the construction techniques need to change as Lunar are not the only damp caravans out there!

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
You don't have to accept the Lunar position.

You probably have a case against the supplying retailer for selling goods which were not to the right quality.

You need to start reading up on your rights!

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Hi Mike,

I'm also sorry to hear of your problem. This is precisely why I haven't even gone after Lunar as I knew what the outcome would be. Like I said before, I am under no ellusion that Lunar are the only brand out there that have damp vans. This is what really puts me off caravanning - we spend a lot of money on supporting this country by buying british caravans and when they do leak the manufacturer doesn't give two hoots.

Frankly it puts me off buying another traditional made van - they are just too many joints waiting for water to leak into and to have the chance (which is high) of having it happen all over again just leaves me cold.

I'm just hoping mine will be fixed this time and maybe sell it on in a year or so when I (hopefully) have a dry caravan for the next owner! By this time we will see if the new Alutech construction from Bailey kicks off not only for them but for the whole industry.

As for you Mike, well

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Oh by the way I don't want to come across all negative. I do love caravanning and there are still many plus points to it (which is why I'm sticking to getting this caravan sorted).

I even still love the van and I have done so ever since I bought it....its a beauty but such shoddy building techniques, repair work and customer service really puts a huge blunt on things.

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
You don't have to accept the Lunar position.

You probably have a case against the supplying retailer for selling goods which were not to the right quality.

You need to start reading up on your rights!
Will, If I was to begin quoting the supply of goods act, 'merchantable quality' and 'fit for purpose' etc etc I would fully expect to be met with 'you were fully aware at the time of purchase that the van was sold with a 3 yr warranty only'.

Dyou not think so?

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Toby, Right behind you. I echo everything you say, Love(d) the caravan and touring everywhere with it is a great family pursuit.

Lunar said 'your contract is with your supplying dealer' not us. Supplying dealer has said 'you had a 3yr warranty'.

My van is the double lounge layout. the damp shadow is in, and slightly below the nearside rear top locker. The work would involve removing all the lockers along the side and back cutting the internal wall board and then refix. As the damp originates from the top corner of the awning rail this would need replacing as well. I appear to have caught it early as the wall boards are still really firm and the only evidence is an irregular shaped shadow.

Like you Toby I have been told that the wall board probably wont match, so Im supposed to put up with a patchwork quilt!! We actually only picked our van up in Nov 2005 so we've only had it 4.5 yrs, this is the bit that really grates. Oh and the

Mar 11, 2004
Visit site
Mike,

Have you tried getting a few quotes for the job? It's just that if the roof timber is nice and firm (like mine) then you don't need to cut it out. The only time you need to cut out the roof is if the timber is rotten.

In my experience, some workshops make damp repairs over complex when they needn't be. I have now found an extremely good independant repairer and seen examples of his work. I don't know if you are near Essex, but might be worth getting a second opinion. Obviously the source of the leak will be from the outside on the awning rail or roof area but I reakon you can simply stick on new vinyl rather than stripping the whole roof lockers out and cutting out the timber!

Here are the guy's I'm dealing with at present (ask for Garry):

http://www.countycaravanservices.co.uk/- just don't try emailing them as they don't respond!

Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
Mike,

Have you tried getting a few quotes for the job? It's just that if the roof timber is nice and firm (like mine) then you don't need to cut it out. The only time you need to cut out the roof is if the timber is rotten.

In my experience, some workshops make damp repairs over complex when they needn't be. I have now found an extremely good independant repairer and seen examples of his work. I don't know if you are near Essex, but might be worth getting a second opinion. Obviously the source of the leak will be from the outside on the awning rail or roof area but I reakon you can simply stick on new vinyl rather than stripping the whole roof lockers out and cutting out the timber!

Here are the guy's I'm dealing with at present (ask for Garry):

http://www.countycaravanservices.co.uk/- just don't try emailing them as they don't respond!
Thanks Toby, however i'm in Chester, but I am currently getting a couple of other quotes to compare against.

Best of luck to you with your repair.

Cheers

Mike

G

My sympathies on your troubles, yet again.

Fortunately, my van also made 2005 has a 5 year damp warranty...........but, as the manufacturer has gone belly up, it is not worth too much. However, on the good side they did tend to make good leakproof vans and I live hopefully.

As for your problem I would suggest you need to start doing some groundwork and homework. Your wallboard may not indeed be available from Lunar, but as they bought it from a 3rd party supplier, you may be able to source it direct. Many manufacturers of motorhomes and caravans used similar linings. Try to get the name from Lunar and also start checking the breaker Companies who also have stocks of obsolete parts. If you can track down the correct bits that will be on view, then you are halfway there. There are independent Companies that will do the repair for you, probably cheaper than the quote, and if you check carefully you should find a competent one.

By the way, is ther any option to claim on the insurance?

Try to be positive. If you can get a successful job done and the van is back to shipshape condition, then you may wish to keep it as you know what you have got

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I am facing the same problems with damp on my Lunar 524 Year 2003 that has a pale pink wallboard.

On phoning Lunar - they have told me the wallboard is no longer available - so I have contacted there supplier who can sell me 10 sheets (I only need 2) so if it is the right colour and pattern would you be interested?

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
this van has an inherant fault. the paper work might nly say 3 years but you will have 6 years i can asure you.

an inherant fault is a fault that was there at the time of sale but only visable as it got used. put in google sales of goods act quicks facts this will explain all about the inherant fault. i would also contact consumer direct.

jo

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Toby wrote

I unscrewed mine a few weeks back and found no mastic what so ever around the light. What is happening is the water is running behind the light and into the hole where the supply cable goes through. This hole is far far bigger than the cable and there is no watertight grommit or mastic present at all, just a crappy rubber shroud protecting the cable

Toby, Jo anne is right this is an inherant fault, it was not built correctly. You serviced the van as per scedule during the warrenty period. I think you have a very good chance of getting Lunar to pay for the dammage. Its just weather you want to fight it or not.

Kevin

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Toby wrote

I unscrewed mine a few weeks back and found no mastic what so ever around the light. What is happening is the water is running behind the light and into the hole where the supply cable goes through. This hole is far far bigger than the cable and there is no watertight grommit or mastic present at all, just a crappy rubber shroud protecting the cable

Toby, Jo anne is right this is an inherant fault, it was not built correctly. You serviced the van as per scedule during the warrenty period. I think you have a very good chance of getting Lunar to pay for the dammage. Its just weather you want to fight it or not.

Kevin
I have been a caravanner for 20 years and am also a trader. I have a family friend who has been repairing them for 35 years. I guess that gives me a fair insight into the caravan industry and their products.

I travel nationwide to buy caravans and the cost of a wasted journey for me can be expensive. Quite often I buy "blind" off the back of pictures negotiating a deal by email or on the phone. I now only trade in continental caravans, over the past year Ive probably seen a couple of hundred vans every english one (except a bessacarr and a freedom) have been sodden with damp and not one German one has been.

British journalism is obsessed with British caravans. Magazines have articles based around the latest colour upholstery between the bailey and the Lunar totally omitting the fact that within 5 years both of them will have so much damp you think they have been sailed down the Thames.

Wake up british public and smell the coffee we have been buying BMW's and audis and mercs since the 1970's please realise that British caravans neither have the insulation values quality or damp integrity that are anywhere near the Germans . Oh dear the doors on the wrong side pah - lease you are going to have to come up with some better reason why you wont buy quality than that!!

Remember the 1970's when the invasion of jap cars came in ? We all laughed as we were changing the 5th engine on our austin allegro. And please practical caravanning can we have some more hard hitting journalism about what these english vans are like after 5 years because if we did our buying patterns would change.

It makes no odds to me keep throwing your money at leaky british vans if you like but those of us "in the know" are laughing at every wasted penny you spend .....

TRENDING THREADS