Calling all 8 feet wide owners

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We're currently considering changing our 2022 Swift due to a delamination issue on the sidewall along with one or two other niggles with this particular model.

The caravan we thought we'd like was the Adria Altea 622, but after looking at one the rear wardrobes are VERY narrow, this is a 7' 6" body. We then looked at the next model up (same layout), the Adria Tiber 623 which is an 8' wide bodyshell. Although only 6" wider it opens up so much more usable space inside, however, we've noticed some issues with bigger caravans on some sites (from 2018 to 2022 we had a twin axle Sprite which was tight and awkward on some CL's).

Considering the Adrias are also a very long caravan due to the extended A-frame, I just wondered what folks experiences are that have switched to an 8' wide caravan. I have enough room (just!) to store it at home where we usually keep the caravan, but I'm just conscious of the extra width. Like I said, it's "only" another 3" either side but we've been through some tight spots with 7' 6" caravans.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We have had 8' wide caravans since 2015 and to be honest there is not noticable difference when towing. Entry to a minority to CLs may be an issue, but normally the CL will tell you if it is unsuitable for twin axles or long caravans.

Reactions: GaryB
Apr 19, 2023
Visit site
We have a new Adria 612 DL Seine. This is the model with 2 fixed single beds. As we have a super king sized bed at home we'd never cope in a small double. It's not 8ft wide, but 7.5ft wide. So I can't help with the impact of an extra 6 inches.

However this is our first caravan, previously had a motorhome. My wife drives and had never towed and so far after 5 trips no issue. Have to say our MH was an Adria and it was the quality that attracted us to an Adria caravan.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm not sure what your asking?

There are other caravanners who do use 8ft caravans with apparent success, and basically any place that an HGV can go you should be able to pass with no problems.

But if there are any narrow roads or entrances that cat accept 8ft wide vehicles, their not magically going to get widened for you. It would sensible to ask sites if they can accept 8ft caravans before you book.

Feb 16, 2020
Visit site
Switched to an 8ft wide 4 years ago have never had any issues with the width of the van and the extra 6inches does seem to make a difference inside

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gary , measure the width of your extension mirrors as fitted to the car. They will be over 8 feet.If the mirrors get through most of the time so will the 8 foot caravan. Although the Adria may appear to have a longer A frame check it’s overall shipping length.
The Law says with an ordinary driving licence the caravan body must not exceed 7 metres. The A frame is not included in that calculation

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Yes, we're all good on the size front for storage etc, but with our current caravan having to go back to the Swift factory for warranty work we've had to suspend the idea of changing until the work on the current one is sorted.

Thanks for all the input, my engineering background makes me collate as much information as possible before doing anything that involves opening my wallet!

TRENDING THREADS