Calling all Fiat Ducato Euramobil Sport owners

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
We have a Fiat Ducato Eura Mobil Sport on a 1998 plate, which is our first and we have only owned it about 2 months, so far been up North touring around the Lake District up to Carlisle and back down to Dover, and just got back from touring around Europe covering over 3500km without any problems - Apart from our 12v fridge doesn't work on 12v or gas, it was working on gas but now as problems igniting, smell gas but no flame.

I Took the outside panel off and cleaned the connections. It works fine on 240v. I've downloaded the instructions for the system Electroblock EBL 200-6 and it mentions about a relay that operates both the awning light and fridge, Stops the awning light from working while the engine is running and the fridge from running when the engine is not running. Well the awning light works while the engine is running and we are moving. (Only tried it for a minute). Could this be the problem? But also the leisure (Habitation) battery does not charge from the alternator while we are travelling, charges from the mains on 240v which is how we managed to get along. I think some body as messed around with the system at some point and added another mains charger. Turned out the only reason it wasn't charging from 240v was because of the glass fuse inside the Electroblock. Sorted that now and charges fine from mains, so turned off other added battery charger. Also the water tank gauge and battery level gauge do not work either.

So to all you Fiat Ducato owners out there, could you please tell me the locations of the relays and fuses especially for the fridge and any ideas how whats going on and how to fix the problems would be very much appreciated? I can add pictures if need be if it helps.

Also my temperature always shows only on first 1/4 not half even after been driving for hours is this normal?

Regards
Paul

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Here are a few pics to help out, does anyone recognise these fuses and can tell me what they are for? /sites/practicalmotorhome.com/files/images/medium_2013-10-12-2392.jpg/sites/practicalmotorhome.com/files/images/medium_2013-10-12-2394.jpg/sites/practicalmotorhome.com/files/images/medium_2013-10-12-2391.jpg

May 7, 2012
Visit site
hi paul and ola, check your inline fuse holders. i have a 1996 ducato and my fridge had not worked for 7 years in 12v mode until i changed the fuse holders and then whoopee. hope this helps.

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Clifford
Yes took the starter battery out and checked all the wiring, fuses,and holders, pretty sure I've found the problem, the D + Alternator input (purple) wire that goes from the alternator via a 2 amp fuse to the EBL Electroblock that sends an input when the ignition is switched on to switch the relay that operates the fridge, leisure battery charging and Awning light outside.

Well this wire went off into a blue connector block but wasn't connected lol. So I've oredred some new bits and will be changing the connector type, changing the fuse holder and fitting new cable. And fingers crossed hey presto it should work I reckon.

I'll let keep you posted thanks for the advice, did you have any joy in finding a workshop manual for your 1996 van, I've been looking for one too, tried everywhere even phoned Fiat in Italy and got no joy.

Paul

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Well managed to get the fridge working finally, also leisure battery charging from alternator, think it was a combination of things causing not to work. But still can't get my instrument panel to work properly, neither the battery testing works nor the fresh water/waste water tank (sensors) it is the Scaudt Control Panel IT256-3A. Puzzled as what it can be, my electric step isn't connected as we don't have one,

Good advice though Cliford helped me a great deal thanks

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hooray

I finally got the fridge working on 12V. One question, it only works when the engine is running I know this is quite normal. However the fridge will also only wotk when the main 12v switch is on, on the control panel. Also I checked the leisure battery with a multi-meter whilst switching the fridge on and the voltage dropped quite significantly which indicates to me that the fridge is running off the leisure battery. Thought the normal set up was for the fridge to run off the alternator or the starter battery.
Any suggestions?
Paul

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
When your leisure battery is being charged from the alternator the battery reads say 14.4V and when the fridge is then switched on (while the engine is running) the battery then reads a somewhat lower figure but still over 12V? Right so far ? That would be normal because your frige is taking 10A from the alternator which then cannot be used to charge the battery. Your fridge relay will only allow that drawdown when the engine is running ie it isolates the fridge from the battery, so no problem or have I misinterpreted your post?

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi there Retread No that is all correct what you said. My leisure battery reads between 12.5 and 13.8 with the fridge running on 12V and only works when the engine is running and the main 12v switch is switched on, on the control panel.

Fixed that problem now I'm trying to work out why the battery 1 & 2 testing buttons (sensors) and the waste and fresh water testing buttons (sensors) don;t work I've checked all the wiring and connections and they all seem to be in tact. A bit baffled to be honest. funny thing is the battery low voltage alarm and RED LED works fine.

Any ideas

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
My 1993 Ducato/Hymer Has meters for Battery voltage switched 1 & 2, in addition a further meter for Waste/fresh water again switched each way.
If my set up failed to work I would be checking the earth to the meters and then the supply voltage from the batteries to the switches and thus to the meters, other than that................. or is the indicator/meter Bug***d? try by applying a voltage across it.

BGD

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Paul and Ola - ther's not an official workshop manual, nor a Haynes one; but there's a Peter Russek one that's very good (assuming you are a handy DIY mechanic....it doesn't cover beginner type stuff). google to find on-line sellers

BGD

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: temperature gauge.........

The radiator on the Fiat Ducato really is a big 'un, and is very effective at dissipating engine heat.
On our year 2001 2.8JTD Ducato the temp gauge takes ages to come up from zero, and then normally only ever gets to and stays at about one-third the way up the range.
If we are climbing a very, very long steep hill then it might just about get up to halfway.
And that's here in Spain, where the ambient air temp is higher than the UK.
The cab heater blasts out hot air very nicely when needed; it's just that the temp gauge stays well down the range always.

There was some discussion about this recently on the Fiat Ducato forum, and the consensus was "they all do that sir".......the radiator/engine cooling system design had to be able to cope with white-van-man delivery drivers doing loads of stop/start trafiic-jam work, and slow driving deliveries all across Europe, including in some very very hot countries, whilst revving the nuts off the van......so is well over-engineered for gentle chugging/cruising around on the cold little island of Britain.

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing that with me BGD, its interesting to know, was worried there for a second but we drove our van 3500km without any problems what so ever with over heating, was very hot especially in Switzerland around the lakes in Geneva and climbed the high mountains no problem, barkes got extremely hot, glowing on the way down, really smelt bad.
On the way back we noticed coolant fluid in the cab, not a lot but small pool, wiped it up and again it happened. Read somewhere that its probably the thermostat gone, not sure why that would cause coolant to leak out right above the gear linkages that go through the floor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts