Calor to Flo Gas

May 26, 2022
Visit site
Hi Could any help, Due current supply problems with calor gas, I am
Thinking of changing to Flo Gas. I currently use 2 calor lite attached by pigtails to a wall mounted truma regulator. Will thes pigtails fit flo gaslight?
Many thanks for your help
šŸ» Bear

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Which Flogas? The standard steel propane, or tge Flogas grp gaslight bottles? Flogas will not exch the Calor bottles for any of theirs due to the Calor ā€œ rentalā€ agreement and of course Flogas donā€™t have the equivalent of Calorlite. But for standard steel bottles the pigtail fittings are the same for Calor or Flogas. For gaslight you would need an adaptor to use bulkhead regulator as they use a clip on regulator.
See JTQ post on this topic.

By JTQ

This answer IMO could be misleading; the answer is in modern UK NCC approved caravans the Gaslights do use the same wretched bulkhead mounted regulator as would be the case with Calor or any other gas bottle.

The difference is not in the regulator, but the "pigtail" hose from the bottle to the regulator; the bottle fitting is different, it is a 27 mm "Clip-on", however, whilst you could change the pigtail you could simply change to a different adaptor on a universal pigtail hose. These adaptors are readily available, and can also suit the French Le Cube if that is ever needed. For that additional flexibility buy the 27 mm clip-on with a top take off rather than side take off. [I can go into specifics on these if requested to]

If a continental van like mine where the regulator is bottle mounted then I suspect just like mine the same 27 mm clip-on adaptor fits directly onto the regulator, as does the UK propane handwheel adaptor, if using Calor.

I have in 16 years not struggled to get Gaslight exchanges, these days it is via home delivery.
Nor have I had any issue with the Clip-on feature, or for that matter the soft nosed Calor hand wheel connection, but did with the solid ones years before.

Last edited:
May 26, 2022
Visit site
Which Flogas? The standard steel propane, or tge Flogas grp gaslight bottles? Flogas will not exch the Calor bottles for any of theirs due to the Calor ā€œ rentalā€ agreement and of course Flogas donā€™t have the equivalent of Calorlite. But for standard steel bottles the pigtail fittings are the same for Calor or Flogas. For gaslight you would need an adaptor to use bulkhead regulator as they use a clip on regulator.
See JTQ post on this topic.

By JTQ

This answer IMO could be misleading; the answer is in modern UK NCC approved caravans the Gaslights do use the same wretched bulkhead mounted regulator as would be the case with Calor or any other gas bottle.

The difference is not in the regulator, but the "pigtail" hose from the bottle to the regulator; the bottle fitting is different, it is a 27 mm "Clip-on", however, whilst you could change the pigtail you could simply change to a different adaptor on a universal pigtail hose. These adaptors are readily available, and can also suit the French Le Cube if that is ever needed. For that additional flexibility buy the 27 mm clip-on with a top take off rather than side take off. [I can go into specifics on these if requested to]

If a continental van like mine where the regulator is bottle mounted then I suspect just like mine the same 27 mm clip-on adaptor fits directly onto the regulator, as does the UK propane handwheel adaptor, if using Calor.

I have in 16 years not struggled to get Gaslight exchanges, these days it is via home delivery.
Nor have I had any issue with the Clip-on feature, or for that matter the soft nosed Calor hand wheel connection, but did with the solid ones years before.
Many Thanks
I currently have pigtails with a large brass nut for calor gas. Am I presuming that they will no fit Gas Light. If this is the case are the pigtails readily available in the uk?
Thanks
Bear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you use Flogas light you need a clip on adaptor plus pigtail to link bottle to regulator on bulkhead.

Reactions: Bear
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I switched from Calor to FloGas Light (previously BP gaslight) in 2017. During the switch I had 1 x 10Gg BP and one 6kg Calor bottle and used a different pigtail to switch, carrying the spare tail with me. Then my local B&M (FloGas stockist) stopped doing Calor and FloGas ran a promotion - show us your empty Calor bottle and we will do you a new FloGas light for refill only price.
Now I have a 5kg and a 10kg and can JUST fit both in the side locker if needed.

Reactions: Bear and otherclive
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I switched from Calor to FloGas Light (previously BP gaslight) in 2017. During the switch I had 1 x 10Gg BP and one 6kg Calor bottle and used a different pigtail to switch, carrying the spare tail with me. Then my local B&M (FloGas stockist) stopped doing Calor and FloGas ran a promotion - show us your empty Calor bottle and we will do you a new FloGas light for refill only price.
Now I have a 5kg and a 10kg and can JUST fit both in the side locker if needed.
Tobes, I am thinking the same way, I have a full calorlite an a near empty Calorlite, Thinking about changing the lite for a small Propane then when the other Calorlite goes change to the Flogas lite ( or what it will be called. )

Reactions: Tobes

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
change to the Flogas lite ( or what it will be called. )

"Gaslight", Flo-gas retained the BP product name.

As I have stated in other posting these are physically a very good option for me, light tare weights and simplicity itself with the 27 mm clip-on connection, along with a useful 10 kgs of propane.

The downside is under Flo-gas the exchanges have got very dear, Ā£51.75, [10 kg propane] leaving a real feeling our leisure application is being ripped off.
Flo-gas's 11 kg steel, though coming with about a 7 kg tare penalty, are way cheaper exchanges, 66%, kg for kg of propane. Ā£37.75 for 11 kgs of propane. These are aimed at the commercial user, flat roofers etc, who will not be so readily suckered into paying way over the odds.

LINK to Flo-gas shop.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The last tiem we filled up our 7.5kg Safefill bottle from virtually empty it cost us just over Ā£8, but this was in Oct last year. Even if it was double the cost it is still cheaper than Calor or Flo.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The last tiem we filled up our 7.5kg Safefill bottle from virtually empty it cost us just over Ā£8, but this was in Oct last year. Even if it was double the cost it is still cheaper than Calor or Flo.

Great option if you can refill them.

However, for some of us the increasing rarity of refilling venders means the true cost of the LPG requires adding in a lot of both diesel and time to travel to places where refilling a portable bottle is available.

Sad but a real and increasing issue which I don't see changing, just accelerating given environmental pressures to move from fossil fueled vehicles.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Great option if you can refill them.

However, for some of us the increasing rarity of refilling venders means the true cost of the LPG requires adding in a lot of both diesel and time to travel to places where refilling a portable bottle is available.

Sad but a real and increasing issue which I don't see changing, just accelerating given environmental pressures to move from fossil fueled vehicles.
We normally refill when out and about so have not really had an issue with refilling.

TRENDING THREADS