CAMC and Brittany Ferries.

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
I've had a bit of an eye-opener over the weekend. I've booked two low-season holidays in France, one in May and the other in September.
I used to book my ferry crossing through CAMC but, when I checked their prices against Brittany Ferries' prices, they were significantly more expensive. This made me question the worth of being a member of CAMC. Then, I considered the marvellous CL's we stay at. However, several of the owners of these CL's have increased the capacity of their sites by adding pitches completely separate from the CL, as per CAMC rules but, still charging the same prices. I will be seriously considering my CAMC membership renewal when it's due.
Now onto Brittany Ferries. The September crossing went through without a hitch. However, as I was entering the payment details for the May crossing, I got a popup message stating that the cost of my crossing had changed and had increased by £48! I hadn't left the booking overnight which I could forgive, this literally happened during the transaction. A bit naughty I think.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
When I used to travel to France with the van, we would normally use DFDS, Dover Dunkirk, as they were cheaper, crossing normally at between 3 am to 5 am. Use the upper class lounge to be able to get a bit of sleep £15 extra and free tea/coffee and a glass of bubbly and free sandwiches. Well worth it.
Never booked French holidays through the clubs. Too expensive. But always used Red Pennent.
I will keep club memberships just for Cl/C's sites.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It was many years ago that I booked ferries through the CAMC. But when I did, I found the trick was to book some sites within the same booking. This greatly reduced the ferry price. Perhaps they don't do that now.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It was many years ago that I booked ferries through the CAMC. But when I did, I found the trick was to book some sites within the same booking. This greatly reduced the ferry price. Perhaps they don't do that now.

John
I hope you can still book a site and save on the ferry anything off is better then nothing (y)

Reactions: Paullus1959
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I used to travel to France with the van, we would normally use DFDS, Dover Dunkirk, as they were cheaper, crossing normally at between 3 am to 5 am. Use the upper class lounge to be able to get a bit of sleep £15 extra and free tea/coffee and a glass of bubbly and free sandwiches. Well worth it.
Never booked French holidays through the clubs. Too expensive. But always used Red Pennent.
Ah those were the days, cheap crossings to Dunkirk, and the club lounge. We used that route when we had the dogs with us as it was only a couple of hours. Nice ferries too.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We found that joining Brittany Voyager it was a lot cheaper than using CAMC plus you got a free breakfast and free cabins on some trips. We were going across at least twice a year.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We used DFDS about 20 years ago via CAMC. With that year's offer was the first class lounge for £2 per person per crossing. For less than the cost of a cup of coffee, we had an emptyish lounge, unlimited coffee and biscuits, and a picture window. And that year, the ferry was heaving.

We used DFDS this year on a coach trip. DFDS gave everyone on coaches, on the outward and return journeys, a voucher for a full meal.

Very nice.

John

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
We found that joining Brittany Voyager it was a lot cheaper than using CAMC plus you got a free breakfast and free cabins on some trips. We were going across at least twice a year.
I looked at joining the Voyager scheme but from some research, I got the impression that it was only worthwhile if you were crossing to France several times a year or am I mistaken?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have not been to France since covid but always booked by ringing the foreign touring service. The ferrie3s were always cheaper but I had checked before so I could challenge them if they wanted more. Sites were always cheaper than the price shown at the door although they do tend to be the more expensive ones to begin with. Personally I would not use he internet as using the phone often let me know other options which could work out cheaper or were better for us.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I looked at joining the Voyager scheme but from some research, I got the impression that it was only worthwhile if you were crossing to France several times a year or am I mistaken?
The first year you pay the joining fee plus the annual subscription and that is £120. Second year subscription only £60. You could save that £60 on just one trip.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
.... The September crossing went through without a hitch. However, as I was entering the payment details for the May crossing, I got a popup message stating that the cost of my crossing had changed and had increased by £48! I hadn't left the booking overnight which I could forgive, this literally happened during the transaction. A bit naughty I think.
I think this is an example of "drip pricing", and the Gov't is apparently considering outlawing the process.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts