CAMC Caravan Cover renewal invitation.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Just a £22.00 increase this year. However I was surprised at the number of “Cover” changes made to the “cover” wording from last year. A grand total of 48! On the face of it nothing sinister but it does exercise the grey cells why so many in 12 months. Further bed time reading. Otherwise the cover still ticks the boxes although not the cheapest still considered one of the best.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had mine the other day as well, Cand CC, up from £ 298 to £382, Thats for a new for old caravan valued at £ 28000.
I checked with the Cand MC and they wanted £419 or £219 for market value which is about £16000.

So do I go for the cheaper insurance and give up caravanning if the van is stolen or written off, or carry on with the more expensive quote. We are not sure about carrying on with caravanning, , with the more expensive costs of pitches , servicing etc.

A hard choice to make.

I have 10 days to decide.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I had mine the other day as well, Cand CC, up from £ 298 to £382, Thats for a new for old caravan valued at £ 28000.
I checked with the Cand MC and they wanted £419 or £219 for market value which is about £16000.

So do I go for the cheaper insurance and give up caravanning if the van is stolen or written off, or carry on with the more expensive quote. We are not sure about carrying on with caravanning, , with the more expensive costs of pitches , servicing etc.

A hard choice to make.

I have 10 days to decide.

Well I would certainly hope that theft or write off are extremely low probability events, such that your decision is a positive one. Surely a couple of hundred pounds isn’t the deciding criteria. Even if the two events were to happen you could sell the £28000 van back to the supplier and pocket the difference. But sensibly I think your decision will be weighted by other factors, that we all have to confront from time to time.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch
pretty well the same as me . £28500 new for old or market value £8-10 k. Had the Wyoming 13 years now and always had new for,old. So biting the bullet if I down grade the cover Sod’s law says.... something will happen. I’m sticking with full new for old.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
DD and Clive, I know the answer is to stick to the New for old really, but as I have just asked in another thread,
Where do you find the value of your caravan, is there a "Glasses Guide" I suppose ask the insurer,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hutch
I look at adverts and magazines . Now, if you were selling today yours will be worth a fortune. No used caravans available. Once people start Spanish beaches again our caravan values will drop like a stone as the market floods.Your local dealer will have a guide, not sure if it is still glasses guide. You could ask.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
DD and Clive, I know the answer is to stick to the New for old really, but as I have just asked in another thread,
Where do you find the value of your caravan, is there a "Glasses Guide" I suppose ask the insurer,
When I did new for old on my last caravan that I had for nine years the two clubs gave me what they concluded the market value would be for that year. In a write off claim for a car I challenged the insurers first offer by supplying extensive prices from dealers adverts on the web. To me market value is what you would expect to pay for a similar replacement from a dealer.
I suspect the Clubs valuation is taken from the same guide used by caravan dealers.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just got our renewal notice from C&CC. There were no amendments to the cover but the premium has gone up by nearly £50. May have a look around but he service and cover is so good I am not keen on a move.
I know that theft is pretty rare, but if the caravan was stolen the replacement as new cover would mean a payment of almost 200 times the premium and we are also covered for fire, accidents and more. At that price it is pretty realistic I think.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
You could also try reputable companies that advertise in the rearward pages of the magazine and at least get quotes to compare. I am a member of both clubs but have always insured with an independent. I had the same debate whether to go market value, but feel in the current market the NfO was a safer bet with a guaranteed new van in the event of loss, rather than a cash value that might go nowhere near a used replacement price. I think that also more fairly rewards me for the trouble and costs spent in maintaining the van with annual service etc over the years of ownership to keep my van as near pristine as poss.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The companies that advertise are a mix with both what I would regard as good, bad and medium. I would try to check them out before using any
You should have a DEFAQTO rating of five stars for the best cover, although four is generally acceptable but if they do not quote one or it is below four stars then I would avoid it.
Trust Pilot and the like are generally no use in assessing the cover or claims service which is what counts as they tend to be nothing but people saying how quickly and easily the company took their money. You need to find the claims reviews to see how they perform.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts