Camera Question

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply JohnB.

I took a look at the Sony RX10 IV and its certainly an impressive camera. I'm not convinced yet that its for me. I do a wide range of different types of photography which my Canon 7D2 and various lenses cover well. Such topics as Macro, Timelapse and Low Light Level stuff might not be as good with the Sony. I do a lot of Lanscape work as well and the opinion seems to be that the 7D2 would be better than the Sony - but then of course that depends how critical you are.

I've got used to lugging the stuff around. Mostly I use a medium size messenger bag into which I can fit the 7D2 with a Sigma 17-70 lens attached plus a 70-200, and 10 -18 lenses and the other bits and pieces such as filters and batteries.

I can keep this below the usual 7.5kg limit for carry on baggage so other stuff e.g tripods, other lenses goes into the hold if necessary or I just carry them over the other shoulder. It is hard on some occassions carrying this lot up hill walks though.

I need to think seriously about this change of direction having so much tied up in the Canon System. Not to mention that some software I use for Timelapse is specific for Canon.

Not a great fan of Ebay especially since they stopped you selling stuff with just a Paypal account and insistenting you give them your bank details. I have traded in stuff through WEX in the past.

Once again thanks

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
For me the pocket compact is the way forward. No way will they ever match a dslr, or mirrorless large sensor camera. It is all down to convienience.

My son purchased a full frame Sony during covid. I think it was around £5000. Very professional pice of kit. But it does not get the use. A few weeks ago they went on a Caribbean cruise and took it with them. He never used it, just their iPhones.

I am looking for step up from a phone but with very easy use.

John

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the reply JohnB.

I took a look at the Sony RX10 IV and its certainly an impressive camera. I'm not convinced yet that its for me. I do a wide range of different types of photography which my Canon 7D2 and various lenses cover well. Such topics as Macro, Timelapse and Low Light Level stuff might not be as good with the Sony. I do a lot of Lanscape work as well and the opinion seems to be that the 7D2 would be better than the Sony - but then of course that depends how critical you are.

I've got used to lugging the stuff around. Mostly I use a medium size messenger bag into which I can fit the 7D2 with a Sigma 17-70 lens attached plus a 70-200, and 10 -18 lenses and the other bits and pieces such as filters and batteries.

I can keep this below the usual 7.5kg limit for carry on baggage so other stuff e.g tripods, other lenses goes into the hold if necessary or I just carry them over the other shoulder. It is hard on some occassions carrying this lot up hill walks though.

I need to think seriously about this change of direction having so much tied up in the Canon System. Not to mention that some software I use for Timelapse is specific for Canon.

Not a great fan of Ebay especially since they stopped you selling stuff with just a Paypal account and insistenting you give them your bank details. I have traded in stuff through WEX in the past.

Once again thanks

I do agree with you that bearing in mind your photographic interests you should stick with the Canon kit.

It's all a matter of "horses for courses" as I said before. Most of my photography is holiday stuff with the odd trip that I might make primarily for photography.

In addition a camera for use when diving that has many of the menu options in my second camera makes things easier. Although my housing allows access to the camera menu when diving it's not always possible to stop and fiddle with push buttons and levers etc so familiarity is a bonus.

I would never suggest kit on a caravan forum simply because there are so many considerations involved.

Good luck to John on his choice and it's great to hear that your photography is catered for so well by your kit Sam.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
For me the pocket compact is the way forward. No way will they ever match a dslr, or mirrorless large sensor camera. It is all down to convienience.

My son purchased a full frame Sony during covid. I think it was around £5000. Very professional pice of kit. But it does not get the use. A few weeks ago they went on a Caribbean cruise and took it with them. He never used it, just their iPhones.

I am looking for step up from a phone but with very easy use.

John
Hi John that probably why i like mine (Sony) it easy to carry and take great photo"s

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Sometimes when we visit places of interest I deliberately leave the big stuff at home and just enjoy looking around rather than through a viewfinder.

On these occassions I may take my small compact Panasonic LX3 and if I don't have that and I want to just take a snapshot I'll use the phone. The LX3 produces good quality images and the phone is so-so, only good if the lighting is just right.

A few years back I remember someone promoting a "Leave your camera at home day".

These days it should be leave your phone at home. A group of three thirty somethings in our coffee shop the other day - none talking to each other but all staring at the phone screens. :)

Reactions: otherclive
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
After lots of research, and a big learning curve I have made a decision. :)

My decision is much more expensive than I first planned, (but isn't that always the way)? It has 48mp cameras. (Though that gets cropped). It is portable and has GPS. So hits my criteria of:

Good camera for stills.
Good movie camera.
GPS.
Mobile.

And mobile it certainly is. It's an iPhone 14 pro. 256 gb.

It's £1209. But I should get £200 - £250 for my iPhone X.

But it seems that it is widely out of stock! But I have no problem waiting a couple of months.

Does anyone have any experience with one?

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Wow! Lucky you, a new toy to play with :)

Good luck with it and perhaps you'll show us some of the photos.

Sam

Thanks. I know it is not the best option for great photos and that there are limitations. But it's a good compromise for me. Also, my phone needs will be sorted for a good long time.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts