Camp Sites Tv Aerial Connections.

Mar 3, 2022
Visit site
Rather depends on the general quality of TV signal in the area.
If it's poor you may find a socket to plug into on the electric bollard.
If it's a decent signal probably not as the majority of vans have an aerial capable of picking it up.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I had this discussion with my wife when we were last away and we estimated we only see them on about 5% of the club sites we use. To be honest we get a pretty decent picture most of the time without them.

Reactions: TrevBanbury
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
You could always run the cable through the window into the back of the the tv from the site bollard the window will still close and we never had a problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How common are TV aerial connections on camp sites as at the moment I have no aerial?
I seriously doubt anyone can answer your question. The fact is not all sites have TV aerial connections, so unless you ask each site that you are interested in using it will be pot luck.

If not having a TV connection is deal breaker for you, then make it one of your must ask questions each time you are looking for sites, or get your own aerial!

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
I have an aerial but haven't used it on my three outings so far (other than to check it works). I bought a smart TV and tether it to either my mobile or my wife's then watch catchup / Netflix etc. As a backup I have a couple of dozen films on a usb stick that I can play on the TV. Would this be an option for you?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
How common are TV aerial connections on camp sites as at the moment I have no aerial?

A bit more info about what you do have or have the space/capability to fit in terms of caravan etc would help.
You can buy am aluminium pole of, say. 6-8ft, push it into the ground next to your jockey wheel mount, and put a log-periodic aerial on the top. Run a suitable cable into your (assumed) caravan and you are away. The bits will cost you maybe £30 total from Toolstation or Screwfix. You can also make up a long cable (maybe 15m) to connect the supply pillar to the van for sites where raw TV signal is poor.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A bit more info about what you do have or have the space/capability to fit in terms of caravan etc would help.
You can buy am aluminium pole of, say. 6-8ft, push it into the ground next to your jockey wheel mount, and put a log-periodic aerial on the top. Run a suitable cable into your (assumed) caravan and you are away. The bits will cost you maybe £30 total from Toolstation or Screwfix. You can also make up a long cable (maybe 15m) to connect the supply pillar to the van for sites where raw TV signal is poor.
TrevBanbury, I will send you a picture of an aerial and pole, I had with a previous caravan. That for the cost of a couple of beer you could have.
Going to Parksys Cremation tomorrow so will send at the weekend.,
Hutch.

Apr 19, 2024
Visit site
TrevBanbury, I will send you a picture of an aerial and pole, I had with a previous caravan. That for the cost of a couple of beer you could have.
Going to Parksys Cremation tomorrow so will send at the weekend.,
Hutch.
Many thanks for the offer Hutch but a relative has now given me a pole and vision plus that goes on top to the jockey wheel. Hopefully get to test it out soon.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many thanks for the offer Hutch but a relative has now given me a pole and vision plus that goes on top to the jockey wheel. Hopefully get to test it out soon.
When the changeover from analogue to digital occurred we bought our old pole and aerial out as the vans own saucer shaped aerial couldn’t always get a signal. Hope you get something working.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When the changeover from analogue to digital occurred we bought our old pole and aerial out as the vans own saucer shaped aerial couldn’t always get a signal. Hope you get something working.
Strange as it should have worked. A lot of people got caught out by the digital aerial required scenario. TBH a piece of wire out of the aerial socket may work just as well in many areas. At home we do not have an aerial at all as don't see the need for one. In the caravan I doubt very much if we have even used the aerial on the caravan even once and we watch TV every night.

Feb 23, 2024
Visit site
You know what its true every day is a school day. I have an aerial on a pole and it works more often then not spot on bit of old school wiggling and maybe help from a TV transmitter app on my phone and it's great. But it;s the first I have heard of TV sockets on EHU's wow I'll look out for them in the future.

Good luck with your aerial quest, mine cost around £60 all in and works just fine.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You know what its true every day is a school day. I have an aerial on a pole and it works more often then not spot on bit of old school wiggling and maybe help from a TV transmitter app on my phone and it's great. But it;s the first I have heard of TV sockets on EHU's wow I'll look out for them in the future.

Good luck with your aerial quest, mine cost around £60 all in and works just fine.
We were at a CMHC affiliated site in Newtonmore in Scotland as the changeover from analogue to digital was taking place. The caravans own aerial, a saucer shape, wasn’t doing too great. So I pulled out the directional aerial that went on the pole. Not any success in that either. So we hired a coil of aerial lead from the site and connected it from the bollard to the tv. Still no joy. So I went to the office to ask if the bollards were functioning only to be told they were transmitting analogue. For some reason I thought that area was served by digital. So a simple switch in the tv menu from digital to analogue sorted it out and I had three sources to chose from.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just to clarify, in terms of the aerial there is NO DIFFERENCE between analogue and digital. The aerial only receives the radio frequency signal, it does not decode the modulation applied to the RF signal, that is the job of the TV.

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just to clarify, in terms of the aerial there is NO DIFFERENCE between analogue and digital. The aerial only receives the radio frequency signal, it does not decode the modulation applied to the RF signal, that is the job of the TV.
That’s right once I had been told the bollards output was analogue and switched the tv over we could watch programmes via the bollard connection. The bollards had been provided with tv connections as in that area of the site terrestrial digital or analogue signal was virtually non existent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts