Camper Van destroyed . Scary what can happen.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newsscotland/man-rushed-to-hospital-after-campervan-bursts-into-flames-in-oban/ar-BBXr0O3?ocid=spartandhp

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I hope whoever was involved is not hurt badly.

Without more information it is pointless trying to guess what might have caused the fire..

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very sad. If as reported there was an explosion it sounds like a gas leak, but I may be wrong.
I notice the report says a caravan when in fact it is a camper van.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Raywood said:
Very sad. If as reported there was an explosion it sounds like a gas leak, but I may be wrong.
I notice the report says a caravan when in fact it is a camper van.

Not being pedantic, just trying to clarify. I was under the impression that a camper van was a van like a VW Kombi or Ford Transit that had been converted into a camper. A motor caravan or motorhome is one that has a caravan built onto the chassis. Happy to be corrected. :)

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I think you are right but that's a whole other post-I think what Ray meant was it's a campervan/ motorhome type vehice and most definitely NOT A CARAVAN-big difference-could be one of many engine related issues since it is a motorised vehicle, but of course it could still be due to some sort of habitiation fault! I think it would be good to know-you never know the owner could have had a chip pan in there or knocked a candle over.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I fail to see why the type of vehicle is such an issue.
It is quite clear from the photograph just what it is.
What someone cares to call it is not relevant.
It could be called any number of things including: Motor Caravan, Motorhome, Recreational Vehicle, Campervan, Motorised Caravan etc etc etc .

The point is that it is no more due to some catastrophic issue and that should bring to the forefront of peoples minds the need to ensure your unit is safe.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
I fail to see why the type of vehicle is such an issue.
It is quite clear from the photograph just what it is.
What someone cares to call it is not relevant.
It could be called any number of things including: Motor Caravan, Motorhome, Recreational Vehicle, Campervan, Motorised Caravan etc etc etc .

The point is that it is no more due to some catastrophic issue and that should bring to the forefront of peoples minds the need to ensure your unit is safe.

I am not sure why you think someone cares what to call the vehicle in the photo. I was asking a simple genuine question nothing to do with the unfortunate vehicle as I am unclear of the definitions of camper vans and motor caravans or homes so please get off your high horse. Thank you!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not think there is any definition of either. A Camper van probably is generally smaller than a motor home to most people, and some would say it is a van conversion, but you will find many people will use the terms as alternative names for the same thing. Not trying to confuse anyone though.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Calm down !!
The whole point is that you can call any motorised vehicle what you want, after all they are all basically a motor vehicle with various modifications to make them habitable for leisure purposes.

There is no hard and fast requirement to have a specific name for any of them, but there are so many variations that as long as the person knows what they want, that is OK.

I am not on my "high horse" at all, I don't ride, never been on one as they don't have brakes !!!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
As I said-a whole different topic right there! :woohoo: And as Damian quite rightly says nomenclature is totally irrelevant! I am sure many of us would like to know the cause though-to put minds at rest or to check up on outfits!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am sure most of us are curious as to the cause, and might wonder if there is a lesson to be learned. But it is the nature of these events that usually means we see the initial report produced by an ill informed journalist's who prefers buzz phrases to actual facts, and ultimately we rarely if ever get know the truth about the cause.

What so often follows with the absence of facts is forum speculation about the events which does nothing to help anyone.

I believe our primary concern should be with the well being of anyone involved, rather than discussing irrelevant definitions.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Never mind what you call it. There is common ground with us caravanners.
Forget the cause. It doesn’t matter.
What does matter and I suspect was the reason Damian posted in the first place is the rapidity a fire in a caravan type vehicle takes hold.
There is only one absolute answer.
Don’t delay, get out before you die!!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Never mind what you call it. There is common ground with us caravanners.
Forget the cause. It doesn’t matter.
What does matter and I suspect was the reason Damian posted in the first place is the rapidity a fire in a caravan type vehicle takes hold.
There is only one absolute answer.
Don’t delay, get out before you die!!

I agree. Any structure with significant GRP/plastic that has a fire (look at YouTube videos of boat fires), will get destroyed in no time. Boats that go up frequently burn down to the waterline....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts