Campervan drivers

May 15, 2007
Visit site
I have just spent a week on a Camping & Caravan club site that is superb but the most entertaining parts were watching motorhomes trying to park. Easy access to wide hard standing pitches but they don't seem to have any idea how to reverse. The grass area is at the moment very wet and when i pulled on i was asked to keep away from the grass. My outfit is 42ft long and i had no problem, but i watched motorhomes having to drive on the grass, get bogged down and another wheel spin and sank. One large van pulled in front of his pitch then reversed into the bay next to his which had a caravan on it, he only seemed to notice it about 12inch off it, how he missed it i don't know. Should Motorhome owners have to go on a course before being let loose, or even take a test ?. :lol:

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I think you have used two words with rather differently understood meanings - "Campervan" and "Motorhome". The poor driving standards apparently are only obvious in the latter category! ;)
PS I drive a campervan (sort of)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I don't know why you are picking on just Motorhome drivers?
A fair few caravans are just as bad? Come to think of it a fair few normal drivers as well and they do take a test!!!
On a positive note maybe they are just inexperienced as you have to start somewhere?
Maybe you were that person years ago?

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Isn’t this a bit like people sitting on the harbour wall watching weekend boat owners manoeuvring their boats. All good fun there but for the grace of God etc. Enjoy. B) B)

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
FrenchChuffed said:
Isn’t this a bit like people sitting on the harbour wall watching weekend boat owners manoeuvring their boats. All good fun there but for the grace of God etc. Enjoy. B) B)

Yes I must confess to being guilty of watching units arriving on site and making a hash of trying to park on the pitch. Naughty really, as I hate it if I know people are watching me doing the same thing! Maybe the motorhome drivers seen mis-parking were also feeling very self-conscious, if they knew they were being watched. Confidence tends to sink to your boots under those circumstances! When I used to keep my 'van in storage, because there was lots of space, I'd always have a bit of a practice manoeuvring - and getting quite good at it. But as soon as I got on site my confidence went out of the window and I'd end up using the motor mover.

I have found in the past that the more trips out I have the better I get at manoeuvring; like anything else, practice makes perfect. Next year, with the benefit of two new knees I'm hoping to get out more often, so perhaps I'll be able to hone my skills to maintain a constantly good standard. Just don't watch me!

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Graham, I live out in the boondocks where two lane roads are a luxury, and believe me, it's not just motorhome drivers who can't reverse! Mr or Mrs Average Motorist could do with a few lessons too.
It is very often quicker for me to reverse the caravan to a passing place, rather than wait for some of the numpties I meet up with.

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
I agree with all that's been said,,I feel, as a driver of 54 years that standards overall have dropped and behaviour in general is far more aggressive.I've even fitted incar camera recording.
As far as manoeuvering my van is concerned, I intend to arrange with a local campsite for early next year to go along and learn to reverse into every bay they have,,and you can bet your boots that my first week-end away "real" parking with onlookers will go completely to pot .

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I found reversing a caravan onto pitches much, much, less difficult than reversing backwards in a straight line - but after two ferry trips when I had to reverse on in Scotland and meeting an artic in a narrow single track road who refused to go back, I feel fairly confident now.

But I do have sympathy for newcomers as I cringe when I think back to my early attempts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps someone needs to invent a 'mover' for motor vans, whereby the owner could stand outside with the remote control. Since some cars now have 'parking assist' which will get you parallel parked hands off, then this can't be too difficult.

If you have a friend who has problems in this area, now's the time to buy them a toy remote controlled RV or panel van, so they can get some practice in before next year.

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Hello Graham,
Like you have just spent a week on a Club Site and while I did not notice the pitching problems that you mention,
something I did notice and perhaps you might share your ideas on, was the high number of 'One Night Standers'
Campers arriving at the death, just as wardens are closing up, they then go and use the MV service point, then
drive around the site at least one complete circuit and then park up nearby. Then its zszszszszs-bang as the
sliding door open and closes, then zszszszszs-bang again and again. Eventually it stops for the night.
Then before 0800 hrs, guess what its zszszszszs-bang 'ing' again, then the engine starts while they demist,
then they drive off, never to be seen again. Its all a little bit unsocial - methinks. So not just a motor mover
needed ( see immediately above) but perhaps their own club & sites.
There you go, thats some fuel for discussion.
Mike

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
These are probably motorhomers who wild-camp most of the time but need "civilisation" every few days to empty black/grey tanks and refill water tank as well as good showers.

I've known them drive into sites, use the facilities, turn round and drive off - and it's not just those still known by traditional names that we can't use any more!

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
At the risk of upsetting RogerL and MikeNorris,,,although I agree it's a pest that they arrive late and leave early,,a lot of tourers want to do just that and not sit around static so make the most of the day.
I also thought that many sites are available to every Joe Blog to use to empty grey water and re-fill. I might be wrong on that one though

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't normally comment on threads like this, but I have to say that virtually all the accusations leveled at motor home users I've seen caravanners also do.

Pots calling kettles a dark colour comes to mind.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
pensioner said:
At the risk of upsetting RogerL and MikeNorris,,,although I agree it's a pest that they arrive late and leave early,,a lot of tourers want to do just that and not sit around static so make the most of the day.
I also thought that many sites are available to every Joe Blog to use to empty grey water and re-fill. I might be wrong on that one though
Having a different opinion doesn't cause upset - nor should it for anyone - but thanks for your consideration.

I was merely passing on my observations - I no longer use Club sites, only CL's and commercials, where it's not really an issue. I do wild-camp myself occasionally, to break-up long-hauls to remote parts of Scotland but with a caravan, there's no tanks to empty if it's a single night - it's interesting that on Scottish islands, facilities are provided FOC for wild-campers at most ferry ports

Part of the problem is panel van conversions where the sliding side door needs a slam to shut it, unlike coachbuilts and caravans where they can be shut quietly (not that they always are).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts