Camping & Caravanning Club - Double Standards

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
Just got back from a great 2 weeks touring Scotland - a must see for anyone! Only one annoyance - we booked the C&CC Club site at Moffat on line for our stop overs on the way to and coming back from and had to book 2 nights - minimum for the season, club rules, etc. We then watched several units turn up on the Friday, disappear Saturday morning and the same for Sat/Sunday - anyone else come across this?

I am intending to write to the club about this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is no rule about staying for only one night, it is just that at certain times, you can only BOOK a minimum of two nights. Had you chosen to turn up without booking (which sounds as if it would have been possible), you could have just stayed for the one night. There has been discussion on this before, and while no system will ever suit everyone, it does at least mean that those who want to book a longer stay are not prevented from doing so because all the pitches are booked for just one night out of that time. Swings and roundabouts, I am afraid.

Oct 10, 2006
Visit site
Chrissie,

I beg to differ - we had the club book with us and it states there is a 2 night minimum for the season covering our booking.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I don't have my site book with me at work, I can't really comment further. But I have always understood that restrictions only applied to bookings, not to stays. The fact that so many people were staying for single nights suggests that this is the case - the C&CC usually hauled over the coals on here for enforcing rules, not for ignoring them.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
As I don't have my site book with me at work, I can't really comment further. But I have always understood that restrictions only applied to bookings, not to stays. The fact that so many people were staying for single nights suggests that this is the case - the C&CC usually hauled over the coals on here for enforcing rules, not for ignoring them.
Stop skiving and get some work done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chilli, where did you find that information? I've looked very carefully through 'Your Place in the Country', and the only information I can find about a minimum number of nights relates to advance bookings, not to stays (p154, inside back cover).

Because you wanted the security of an advance booking, you had to book 2 nights. I'm pretty sure those you saw coming and going had simply turned up 'on spec', taking the risk that the site would be full.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'll mention that to the boss - that would be, er, me actually.

My computer, my line rental, my business!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
In that case dock yourself 30 minutes pay and don't let it happen again.

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
i have used moffat quite a lot,and seen units stop for just one night ,just using a grass pitch with no hook up. ,but on weekends and main hollidays units have been turned away due to site been full, its a risk just to turn up in the hope of getting a pitch,

Just got back from Scotland as well, agree it was fantastic. We booked & stayed at moffat for one night on the way, it was sun. 29th April.

I wonder if we got away with it because it was low season?

This is our first year with the C&C C so I am not too familar with there rules.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
"so I am not too familar with there rules".

Don't let a Warden hear you say that else they'll frog march you off to class ;O)

Sorry chrissie, I couldn't resist that, it's ok, smack me now and get it over with.

psssstttt everyone, I'm sure chrissie is David Bellamy posting under a pseudonym.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
They probably turned up on spec without booking and if there was a vacant pitch for the night the site manager will not turn them away.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"so I am not too familar with there rules".

Don't let a Warden hear you say that else they'll frog march you off to class ;O)

Sorry chrissie, I couldn't resist that, it's ok, smack me now and get it over with.

psssstttt everyone, I'm sure chrissie is David Bellamy posting under a pseudonym.
No, my beard is a completely different colour!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts