Camping cheques

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
I have been toying with the idea of using camping cheques for our forthcoming trip to France and Italy in May and June. There seem to be plenty of campsites in the areas we are interested in. We normally don't prebook our sites as we like to go where the muse takes us. Will we find it difficult to get on a site when we just turn up? Gold card, is it worth the extra? Any other comments would be appreciated.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike B.

I have used Camping cheques and Touring cheques for years a very economical way to caravan in Europe. I have never understood why people are prepared to pay through the nose for early/late season camping when this facility exists. OK it is only available for early/late season but over the last couple of years some sites have extended there use.

I have never booked and have never failed to have a good choice of pitches except at the very end of June on the more popular sites.

Gold card?. I would wait and see if Camping cheques suit your needs. I do not use one, some sites do not accept it. For long time use I would say. Others use it and and will have different ideas on it.

One good thing about cheques is if you do not like the site you can move. I remember one year we were enjoying a nice peaceful stay when the family from hell moved in opposite - we moved next day.

Overall, cheques get my vote.

Good luck. JTS.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Us too, we've always used paper Camping Cheques - but have a Gold Card which we've now credited with some cheques.

We go twice a year, end of May/early June, and end of August/early September, and in both France and Spain have never not been able to get a pitch on the sites we wanted. I think most Brits are really surprised just how short the really 'peak' season is in France - about four or five weeks from mid-July to mid-August - and outside that time sites can actually be very quiet. It can hot up on some sites for the last week in June - and strangely the second week in September can get busy when 'Camping Cheque' couples take advantage of the cheap prices and lack of children on sites!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
You may see us then - as we're off May/June too - heading south where the sun usually is, and we'll decide on a site (or two, or three) when we've found the sunshine.

Have a great holiday.

Just to add in this thread, I've done a list of those Camping Cheque sites which accept Camping Cheques during some (or all) of the school summer holidays. If anyone wants a copy just email me (address in the other thread about Camping Cheques during school holidays further down the page).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts